How do you deal with burnout?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

LeahSWM 2E

Re: How do you deal with burnout?

Postby LeahSWM 2E » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:16 pm

currently just doing things that make me happy, and revisiting the reasons I'm even in school. I take a hike once a week now, and allow myself the adequate time to be present and or to just lay and do nothing. All this has been really hard to handle so remember to not take life too seriously but know your feelings are valid! Best of luck <3

Valerie Tran 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:08 pm

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one feeling burnt out and it makes the imposter syndrome easier to deal with since hustle culture is so real. I'm hoping that the break before the spring quarter will help me but I'm really just trying to push to the end. Motivation is super low but it would be a shame to give up when I've gotten this far which is what I tell myself.

Brian Acevedo 2E

Postby Brian Acevedo 2E » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:04 pm

I realize this is a terrible way to go about dealing with burnout and it's probably the reason burnout is basically cyclical for me, however it's served me well thus far so I figure it's worth sharing. A lot of the time, I just embrace it. I realize that I'm burnt out in the moment, so I just let the rut I find myself in run its course (so to speak), with the mentality that "this too shall pass". Afterwards, I tend to get this surge of motivation and productivity that usually outweighs the lack thereof from during the burnout. If you're ok with effectively min/maxing your productivity, it might be worth a shot. As with anything though, please take my advice with a grain of salt. Good luck :)

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:13 pm

I go for a drive and just vibe on my own. We can never be to hard on ourselves i find it better to go for continuous release rather than shutting down and burning out quickly

Alisa Nagashima 1B

Postby Alisa Nagashima 1B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Burnout is pretty much inevitable especially now, so it's really important to just take some time for yourself and get the rest you need. I think it's actually better anyway to just not do anything for a day and "recharge" so that you could start with a clear mindset the next day rather than just trying to suffer through the burnout for days lol

connie ma 3G

Postby connie ma 3G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:40 pm

i ALWAYS burn out by the end of a quarter and stop paying as much attention to lectures and taking notes and stuff. for me personally i find that im still able to get by as long as i know most of the material from the rest of the class. if anything i just tell myself that its almost spring break and i just need to push thru :)

Aimee Alvarado 3J

Postby Aimee Alvarado 3J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:44 pm

I usually make a schedule for the week and decide which day or days I would use to relax and not do a lot of homework or studying. It has really helped me not burn out or lose my motivation for days when I do need to work. I always recommend doing self-care days because your health will always matter more than anything else. Take care of yourself!

Jiayi Wu 3J

Postby Jiayi Wu 3J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:32 pm

Work hard over the week but ALWAYS give yourself a day to rest. For me, it's always Saturday.

Rylee Mangan 1K

Postby Rylee Mangan 1K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:46 pm

Working out 100%. This quarter has been the hardest experience Ive had with online learning so far so I try to get outside and leave my apartment at least once a day to get fresh air and exercise. Also I try to stay super focused throughout the day and give myself the evenings to relax.
Everyone's tips are super helpful but sometimes its okay to admit that you are burned out and cant to anything to solve it. Only a few more days and we are on break. Even if you are DONE just grind through it! We are very resilient students.

Daria Obukhova 2B

Postby Daria Obukhova 2B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I'm definitely in the same boat as you. It's been super hard to stay motivated, but I think I've found a way to deal with a little bit. I think that when you aren't motivated in the first place, then figuring out which assignment to do will waste your time and you won't get anything done. So, what I've been doing is writing in a planner that I have which lists every hour of the day. Each night I plan out my day hour by hour, so that I don't waste time figuring out the next day, and the time constraints actually motivate me to get the work done.

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:46 pm

I highly recommend taking breaks or taking walks in the middle of study or work sessions. Like don't spend the breaks on your phone but do something that lets your brain take a break essentially.

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:46 pm

I highly recommend taking breaks or taking walks in the middle of study or work sessions. Like don't spend the breaks on your phone but do something that lets your brain take a break essentially.

Ryan_Kien_1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Ryan_Kien_1L » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:53 pm

I make sure to leave time in my day for hobbies, so I at least have something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Bryan Le 2K

Postby Bryan Le 2K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:04 pm

When I feel burnt out, I generally watch a show or talk with my friends to get my mind off school for a little. I just got to make sure I don't spend too much time relaxing.

Andrew Dao 3C

Postby Andrew Dao 3C » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Just keeping a planner has helped immensely and making sure no due dates slip by.

Kushaal Madadi 2F

Postby Kushaal Madadi 2F » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:11 pm

The weird thing with me is that I think my burnout comes from my worrying/stressing about things rather than from doing work. I find that if I set a proper, steady, and consistent schedule of study and I actually accomplish what I want on a given day, I do not feel tired even if I worked really hard/long. Worrying and stressing are so harmful to your health and drain so much of your energy. If you can figure out ways to minimize these things, you will probably have a lot more energy for doing everything else.

Emily Jacobo 1C

Postby Emily Jacobo 1C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:02 am

I can completely relate, this quarter for some reason has been really tough on me mentally. What I do is take everyday a little a time and not force myself to work when I absolutely do not feel like working. I also have started to listen to mindful podcasts and daily meditation to help me build up my confidence back into believing I can work through it.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:11 am

Oh I am not the best at this, but I just make sure to take breaks every hour or so just to catch my breath. And drink lot of water and eat snacks.

Charisma Arreola 2F

Postby Charisma Arreola 2F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 am

I like to remind myself why I started in the first place and go over my goals.

Isabella Chou 1A

Postby Isabella Chou 1A » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Taking enough restful breaks and listening to what your mind and body need are so important in this rough time. It's okay to be easier on yourself too, you have been working hard for many weeks now. :)

Alison Perkins 2B

Postby Alison Perkins 2B » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:11 pm

not doing homework in my bed and forcing myself to wake up early definitely help

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:15 pm

I try to incorporate nonschool related activities into my day like yoga and walking to break it up and remember that there are other things I enjoy doing

Fiona Huang 3C

Postby Fiona Huang 3C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:52 pm

I try to find out why I'm feeling burntout, because normally it's not just being physically tired. For me, it's typically because I'm not doing something I truly enjoy doing, and so doing any work related to it feels like a burden.

Zainab Jamali 1H

Postby Zainab Jamali 1H » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 pm

for me, it helps to have a designated study space so that i don’t feel overwhelmed and i can get away from studying completely when i need a break! also taking walks as study breaks instead of just going on my phone (which i’m guilty of) and it really gives my brain like a power nap! good luck :)

Postby 005137088 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:17 am

A lot of these tips are very good. I definitely want to incorporate some of them in my daily schedule.

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:31 am

I find that when I prepare myself ahead to study and work, I am more likely to actually get work done. Setting specific times and days to work on specific assignments helps me to feel organized. If I don't have a clear idea of what I need to do, it can be really hard to be productive. Also, instead of getting mad at yourself for feeling burnt out or unproductive, be compassionate to yourself!

Alyssa H

Postby Alyssa H » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:11 pm

I personally feel like it's a lot easier to work when I feel physically taken care of. For example, when I'm feeling burnt out I try to incorporate basic tasks into my set of goals, such as "take a shower," "eat lunch," or even "do my makeup" LOL. I feel like this makes it easier to keep myself stable and feeling good physically, while also still feeling productive. Once I start feeling better it makes working on the harder tasks a lot easier!!

Arad_Badiee_2B

Postby Arad_Badiee_2B » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:55 pm

Taking a break and doing something you might enjoy like a sport might help!

JohnathanH_1H

Postby JohnathanH_1H » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:20 pm

Honestly, I haven't figured out how to deal with it either. Its week 10 now and Im so tired but this break was kinda nice to just kinda get away from school and enjoy myself for a bit. So I recommend taking a break for a bit to recenter yourself.

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:20 pm

Thank you everyone for these great suggestions. :)

JohnathanH_1H

Postby JohnathanH_1H » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:25 pm

Usually when I am burntout I take time for myself. Like though you maybe burnt stressed out in a stressful time, taking a day for yourself helps you reset, so then you can just relax. And the break try to do a little bit at a time and not tackle everything at once. Thats usually what helps me.

Sophia B 3G

Postby Sophia B 3G » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:28 pm

I make sure I rest and let myself relax for a bit. Then, I try to build up motivation to keep studying and doing school work.

krish shah

Postby krish shah » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:56 pm

I like taking 15-20 minutes everyday to go on a walk...It gives me something to look forward to.

Sara Dolmo 2J

Postby Sara Dolmo 2J » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:59 pm

When I experience burnout, I usually choose a day out of the week (preferably on the weekends) and I would reflect on how I am feeling mentally, physically, emotionally, etc. I would just spend a lot of time by myself and relax.

Postby 505706331 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:09 pm

definitely feel that. usually get super stressed when a lot of my work starts loading up but ill take one day to really just relax and not think about school work. I like to go outside and just enjoy nature and one day of not doing work is not going to hurt.

Alex Luong 3H

Postby Alex Luong 3H » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:24 pm

Everyone definitely has good ways to manage burnout, but personally, I'd rather prevent or minimize it. I try to pace myself and manage my workload day by day, so it all doesn't pile up.

Jacob_Eberson_2D

Postby Jacob_Eberson_2D » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:49 pm

The most important thing that I have been doing is getting my work done in different places (library/lounge/outside). Changing up where I work has helped it feel less monotonous for sure!

oliviacarnot

Postby oliviacarnot » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:51 pm

I think separating my workplace from my room has helped. When I'm in my room everything is so much harder to do but when I go somewhere else like the study or the library, I get a lot more done.

Another thing that might help is finding others that have a good work ethic. You can learn from them and sometimes being around someone doing work inspires/motivates you to do more work as well.

Overall, there are good days and bad days. Don't be so harsh on yourself. Find ways of feeling accomplished throughout the day by doing small things that you can check off your list or by doing things that make you happy/fulfilled. It takes time. Try out different ways such as drawing, exercise, journaling, going on a walk, reading, etc.

I think the worst part about burnout is knowing that you could do work but just don't have the energy for it, remembering that you used to be able to and now are not as capable. Don't think that way. Remember that you have worked your [censored] off to get here and be proud of yourself. It is totally normal to feel unmotivated. Use whatever support you need because sometimes you just need that push to get started again. Take it step by step. Create short-term goals that will lead up to those long-term goals.

Morgan Micallef 1A

Postby Morgan Micallef 1A » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:41 pm

For me, moving around throughout the day to different study spaces helps me stay focused and not fall asleep. But, it is really important to give yourself breaks! I know I can't go more than an hour and a half without a break, otherwise I end up getting absolutely nothing done.

Srikar_Chintala_1E

Postby Srikar_Chintala_1E » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:47 pm

I go to the gym often to just destress.

Giselle Simmons 2D

Postby Giselle Simmons 2D » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:34 pm

Srikar_Chintala_1E wrote:I go to the gym often to just destress.

Atta boy.

Lucas Koch 1I

Postby Lucas Koch 1I » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:37 pm

Personally, I give myself a nice rest day where I do no work or almost none. I can't always do it, but weekends when I don't have a ton of work, I will take Saturday off and it will refresh my will to work for the upcoming week.

Lulu Almoshawah_2K

Postby Lulu Almoshawah_2K » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:26 pm

go for a run! this helped me a lot lately

Parinita Jithendra 2A

Postby Parinita Jithendra 2A » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:44 pm

Honestly, the best way for me is to take a break from everything and just do something I enjoy, for me it's dance, but it can be anything. As much as we need to get in all the information by the next test or class, it is definitely important to take breaks. Studying while being burnt out is so difficult and can be ineffective.

Aneesha_Nema_3C

Postby Aneesha_Nema_3C » Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:47 pm

Oof burnout has really been hitting me this quarter too. Honestly the best thing for me is finding something that helps me detach from reality for a little bit of time so that it's easier to clear my mind and stay grounded afterwards. This can be through walking, listening to music and just taking it in, meditating, dancing, etc. Anything that helps clear your head works!

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”