Low Grades & Graduate School

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily Tieu 2K

Low Grades & Graduate School

Postby Emily Tieu 2K » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:05 pm

I'm not pre-med but I am still planning on applying for a STEM graduate degree. However, this quarter has specifically been tough and it looks like I'll barely pass the class with a C. I'm a freshman and am wondering if it's best to retake this class or continue on to 14C and get a better grade in that course. Any advice helps, thanks! Or let me know if anyone else is in the same position and how you're dealing with it since it'd be nice to know I'm not alone. :)

Hannah Alltucker 3L

Re: Low Grades & Graduate School

Postby Hannah Alltucker 3L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 pm

I think that there is a cap on how low of a grade you need to be able to retake a class to replace a previous letter grade, so you may want to look into that just to be safe, and if you withdraw now it will be marked on your transcript (most grad programs don't want to see to many of those per application, but one or two probably won't be the end of you). Honestly, if its only one C I wouldn't stress over it too much as long as your other classes and quarter GPA's are relatively good, since they'll make up for it somewhat. If I were in your shoes, I would take the C and move on rather than needing to wait another quarter more, but thats also just my personality. If you're really determined, however, and don't want to see a C hurt your GPA plus are willing to redo the work for this class and hold off an extra quarter on your chemistry plans, its also a valid option but would require more work and time on your part. I don't know the extent of your situation, so the call is really up to you and how you want to handle your time and education going forward.

Chesca Legaspi 2E

Postby Chesca Legaspi 2E » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:05 pm

If you pass the class, you won't be able to retake it, but honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your GPA is definitely important, but it doesn't define you obviously. I would say it's more important that if you do choose to continue on the series, you do your best to do better in 14C and CL. If you can do better in harder classes, then grad schools will understand that you probably just had an off quarter. After all, if you can do better in harder courses than the one you got a lower grade in, they'll know that you're more than capable.

Akriti Ratti 1H

Postby Akriti Ratti 1H » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:50 pm

I definitely feel the same way sometimes, but I wouldn't stress too much about it! Grad schools want to see well-rounded applicants so if you're actively involved in clubs and organizations on campus I don't think a C will hurt you that much. :)

Kaiya_PT_1H

Postby Kaiya_PT_1H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you! It's a lower-division class in your first year during a pandemic, so I think they'll understand the circumstances and everything. Like other people said, there are other important things that will make you a well-rounded applicant, so this one quarter/class isn't the end of the world!

Nancy Yao

Postby Nancy Yao » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:44 am

Chesca Legaspi 2E wrote:If you pass the class, you won't be able to retake it, but honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your GPA is definitely important, but it doesn't define you obviously. I would say it's more important that if you do choose to continue on the series, you do your best to do better in 14C and CL. If you can do better in harder classes, then grad schools will understand that you probably just had an off quarter. After all, if you can do better in harder courses than the one you got a lower grade in, they'll know that you're more than capable.

Thank you for explaining this!

Nancy Yao

Postby Nancy Yao » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 am

I am worried about my grades too this quarter. You are not the only one!

Valerie Tran 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:11 pm

Emily Tieu 2K wrote:I'm not pre-med but I am still planning on applying for a STEM graduate degree. However, this quarter has specifically been tough and it looks like I'll barely pass the class with a C. I'm a freshman and am wondering if it's best to retake this class or continue on to 14C and get a better grade in that course. Any advice helps, thanks! Or let me know if anyone else is in the same position and how you're dealing with it since it'd be nice to know I'm not alone. :)

I was researching this and if you technically pass the class, you would only be able to retake with approval or not at all. It's only one class and it will not be the only thing that graduate schools look at. You have plenty of time to boost your GPA and build an impressive resume. Improvement is progress.

Levon Grigoryan

Postby Levon Grigoryan » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:56 pm

DO NOT STRESS. This is a 4 unit class and a C is not that bad. And the GPA will not change a lot. And for you to retake a class you will need a D or lower. I suggest you don't retake it and focus on the future. And it's Covid I'm sure you can mention the low grade or grades in your Personal statements; addressing the difficult times and circumstances. This was all new to us. You will be fine.

Brian Acevedo 2E

Postby Brian Acevedo 2E » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Given that the distanced learning approach isn't necessarily the most ideal, I wouldn't worry too much about not performing as well as you'd have liked to in a few classes. The pandemic has drastically changed everyone's lives, and everyones own individual experiences are different and are valid. I'm sure that graduate schools will understand that when application and admissions seasons roll around. You've got this!

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:04 pm

I would say just take the C and focus on the classes ahead of you. Grad schools definitely won't toss your application out over one low grade from your freshman year

Juliana Rosales 1H

Postby Juliana Rosales 1H » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:30 pm

Honestly I'm to even sure you can retake a class if you get a C. However, totally feel ya on this. Last quarter I barely got by with a C and this quarter my GPA is like super low compared to how its been. Its a big shock for me, but after talking to some premed and doctorate program HAs, they gave me some hope lol. It shouldn't be all that bad, and just try to take it as a learning experience.

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:51 pm

A higher GPA makes your life easier when it comes to med school or grad school but the thing is that if you have the right amount of finesse and logic then youll be able to do whatver you want in life. I see it as a win win

Aimee Alvarado 3J

Postby Aimee Alvarado 3J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:13 pm

I don't think you can retake a class if you get a C; however, we must also remember that we are in a pandemic and it will affect us all differently. I believe that schools or programs will understand your grades if they are not what you want. Just remember to take care of yourself first!

Andrew Dao 3C

Postby Andrew Dao 3C » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Yeah I was also wondering about how the pandemic affected all of us. Hopefully some studies come out soon.

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Honestly I would study hard for the final and not retake the class. Just do better in 14C. Perhaps you may feel like your GPA will be affected a lot but in the long run it will not hinder it.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:47 am

Chesca Legaspi 2E wrote:If you pass the class, you won't be able to retake it, but honestly I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your GPA is definitely important, but it doesn't define you obviously. I would say it's more important that if you do choose to continue on the series, you do your best to do better in 14C and CL. If you can do better in harder classes, then grad schools will understand that you probably just had an off quarter. After all, if you can do better in harder courses than the one you got a lower grade in, they'll know that you're more than capable.

Aw man, couldn't have said it better. Also it's been a rough year for everyone, I think. COVID's really hit us hard with online classes, especially for those that can't focus on videos as well (that's me). So push on! You can make it :)

Giselle_zamora_1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Giselle_zamora_1L » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:45 am

I'm pre med and Im stressing out too because of med school. Covid has been particularly hard on me as well and overall I don't fee motivated , but push through and try to explain in your personal statements!

Charisma Arreola 2F

Postby Charisma Arreola 2F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:34 am

I would talk to your counselor about retaking any classes and if it is even worth it as a freshman.

Postby 505598869 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:46 am

I am in the same situation and I do not think you can retake a class if you passed with a C..

Eric Ngo 1F

Postby Eric Ngo 1F » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:48 am

I think for grad school, you'll be okay! Your grades are not indicative fully of who you are as a person or as a student.

Sofia Azmat 1I

Postby Sofia Azmat 1I » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:51 am

Whatever you do, do not retake the class. A lot of people end up in trouble later, and I promise you a passing grade is better than retaking it. I know that if you are in the college of letters and sciences, you can only retake up to 3 classes where the new grade you get replaces your old grade, and if you retake any more it will include both grades in your GPA. Also, you can only retake a class if you get a C- or below, anything that is C or above, you cannot retake. I would not put myself in a position like that over a C- grade because you never know what might happen in the future and you might need to retake classes later on. Also, as a freshman you have plenty of time to show that you improved and if you perform well in your future classes, everyone will know that you are capable. Ultimately it is your decision, but I encourage you not to retake the class unless you absolutely have to. No matter what happens, just know that you will be okay and there are plenty of ways to get to where you want to be :)

Postby 005137088 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:25 am

Thank you for this information, I didn’t know before about most of the things that were said

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”