It is possible to study for the final in one day?

This forum topic is for students to self-organize study groups, etc.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jaclyn Dang 3B

It is possible to study for the final in one day?

Postby Jaclyn Dang 3B » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:58 pm

I work full time so I don't have much time to study. I am panicking because im super bad at chem even though it is the class I work the hardest for. I was wondering if anybody has any advice and study tips? I will be spending all day of saturday studying.

SophiaBarden 2E

Re: It is possible to study for the final in one day?

Postby SophiaBarden 2E » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:23 pm

I think the most important thing is that even when working full time, you will be so happy if you spent 20 minutes every night doing the practice textbook problems. And remember the concepts that were tested on during the midterm are going to be prevalent on the midterm. I work fulltime too and I know it feels like there's not enough hours in the day for every class, GOODLUCK and you got this!

tholz11

Postby tholz11 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:27 am

I think its possible if you have been paying attention the whole quarter and staying on top of lectures, etc. Then you have the background info necessary. Good luck!

MMorcus2E

Postby MMorcus2E » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:42 am

I think you're better off splitting it up. Although the quarter is only 10 weeks, I was surprised at how much we've learned so it would be super risky to cram it all in a day. Plus, I find that I retain info better if I study for longer periods of time (and this is coming from a hardcore procrastinator lol).

Vivian Chang 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Vivian Chang 3L » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:45 am

I think it wouldn't be advisable to do all of your studying in one day :( If you can, like someone above suggested, I would really try to squeeze in 20-30 minutes of studying each day leading up to the final. I think that would help lower your stress tremendously and help you retain info better too. If you really can't find time to squeeze in some studying before Saturday, I would recommend just rereading the lecture notes and make sure you understand all the concepts so that you'll be good to go on the concepts when you start practicing problems. Best of luck to all of us for the final!!

Keeryth Sandhu 1H

Postby Keeryth Sandhu 1H » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 am

I think it would be better if you can do a little bit everyday even if its only for 20 minutes a day. Good luck!

FrancescaHawkins2H

Postby FrancescaHawkins2H » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:01 pm

I feel like this quarter has gone by so fast! I work as well, and I've been having a hard time finding time to study for this class. Even so, I have found that doing even one or two practice problems if I have time at the end of the day has helped keep it fresh in my mind. Overall, if you have been keeping up with the class, I think you should be fine for the test if you spend Saturday studying. I believe there's a review session Saturday as well if that helps you!

magalysantos_1F

Postby magalysantos_1F » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:26 pm

I know several individuals who cram within 1-2 days, it's possible but if you can sacrifice a few hours of sleep each night I think that at least you will feel better going into the exam knowing that you attempted to study a few days beforehand. I wish you good luck, I hope you pass with flying colors!

Aliya 1H

Postby Aliya 1H » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:27 pm

Definitely try to get some done each day, even if it's just a little bit. Honestly, I'd say focus on what you feel less confident in from the outlines. Doing textbook problems will probably be your best use of time because then if you know something you can just go to the next problem.You got this!

Brenda Silva 1B

Postby Brenda Silva 1B » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:29 pm

You still have a few days until the final so you could try to work on the practice problems throughout the week. On Saturday you could focus more on the concepts you are having difficulty with rather than going over all the topics. Doing it all in one day would probably be overwhelming. Good luck!

Najia Saleem 2G

Postby Najia Saleem 2G » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:33 pm

Jaclyn Dang 3B wrote:I work full time so I don't have much time to study. I am panicking because im super bad at chem even though it is the class I work the hardest for. I was wondering if anybody has any advice and study tips? I will be spending all day of saturday studying.

Of course, your situation is not ideal, but I think this is how you can maximize your studying.
First, find your weak spots and prioritize. Ideally, you should spend the most time on the topics that you find the most difficult.
Second, TEXTBOOK PROBLEMS, TEXTBOOK PROBLEMS, TEXTBOOK PROBLEMS; however, given the lack of time I would suggest you skip the problems that get repetitive. At this point, the conceptual part matters more than being able to use a calculator to punch in numbers.
Third, I would focus on the textbook problems, but if you need to use other resources to review concepts I would highly recommend watching The Organic Chemistry Tutor. He also has a 2-hour review of the whole course but of course textbook problems > other online problems.

Best of luck!
Just remember, you got this :)

Brian Acevedo 2E

Postby Brian Acevedo 2E » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 pm

To answer your question, hypothetically yes. However, I wouldn't recommend it, especially if cramming isn't your typical study method. Frustration with your situation is completely valid, and it'd definetly be easier to get some more studying done with a more open schedule, however that doesn't mean you can't make the most out of the available time you DO have. I would recommend studying in smaller increments intermittently leading up to the exam whenever you have any spare time in a format most similar to how you would typically study (as it is likely to have the best results if that study method has served you well in the past). Good luck with your studying and on the final exam!

Megan Verschuur 1C

Postby Megan Verschuur 1C » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:56 pm

Hi! I understand your pain! This class is tricky with time, I'll find myself doing the textbook problems and suddenly 3 hrs have passed and I have lost the rest of my day! I think your game plan for Saturday should be to pick a couple of textbook problems from each unit, focusing on the units you feel less confident in. If you have more time, maybe try looking over some of the UA worksheets. Michael, the UA, has a whole folder with his notes uploaded as well of all his worksheets. Maybe try out the worksheets since a lot of them have old exam questions or relevant information?

almost_ethan

Postby almost_ethan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:59 am

If you get stuck on a topic or need clarification, WATCH A YOUTUBE VIDEO. I cannot tell you how many times Youtube has saved my life in this course. You can do this!

AustinMcBrideDis3L

Postby AustinMcBrideDis3L » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:44 am

I low-key did this for 14A, I didn't do great, but I still did well enough to keep the grade I wanted because I did well on the midterms. Honestly I would attend Justin's UA session on Thursday, and I would try and digest just a little each topic for like 20-30mins in the days leading up to it. A good way is to redo the sapling problems as they are a good representation of all the topics.

Will Pham 1J

Postby Will Pham 1J » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:34 am

I would not recommend studying for the final in one day, but if you have to, here are some tips because I do this a lot. Try to do just a few practice problems from each topic and figure out what your strengths and weaknesses are. Focus solely on your weaknesses after this, just grinding practice problems for those topics because you should be good on your strengths. I would also review sapling, as that is a pretty good overall review of the topics. Make sure to take some breaks here and there and good luck

Jasmine Yi 1G

Postby Jasmine Yi 1G » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:22 pm

Obviously, it's not ideal to study everything in one day. And like other people said, if it's possible, you should try to split it up over a few days. But if you really don't have time to study until the day before the exam, I recommend studying in short intense bursts. Each "burst" should have a specific topic, like enthalpy practice or entropy practice. Take breaks in between to plan your next burst of studying and rest a little.

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:43 pm

Studying for the final in one day is definitely not it. You gotta split it so your don't overload yourself in one study session. I did that for the last midterm and learned my lesson :(

Gerardo Ortega 2F

Postby Gerardo Ortega 2F » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:51 pm

If you can, I would recommend sacrificing a few hours of sleep tomorrow and Friday to work on the outlines and then review everything the day before and have a good night's rest before the exam. Spreading out the studying a bit helps avoid cramming everything in one day, which can be overwhelming. For 14A, I spent all of week 10 finishing all of the outlines and reviewing them. Then the day before the exam, I read through everything one last time and made sure that I understood the major concepts. I sacrificed sleep throughout that week, but I understand that it's not so easy to do so when having to attend work.

Tam Nguyen 2B

Postby Tam Nguyen 2B » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:47 pm

If you want to be efficient, do practice on the stuff that you don't feel as confident in. However, you should keep in mind that a majority of the test is going to be on thermodynamics and thermochemistry since that is what we spent the most time on. If you've got at least one day to cram, try your best to remember how to use all of the different equations by solving textbook problems and reviewing previous sapling questions. Also Lavelle seems to like throwing some concept questions in there, and those can be easy points to gain as long as you review them too.

Nancy Yao

Postby Nancy Yao » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:02 am

It's been said that people learn things faster under pressure! Don't give up! :D

claire ikemiya_2I

Postby claire ikemiya_2I » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:32 am

I would either spend all day Saturday doing textbook problems or weeks 1-10 of matt, kate, or michaels worksheet from their review sessions or both. The UAs pull the questions on their worksheets from past midterms/finals (although they did not have a 14B final due to covid). But keep in mind Lavelle pulls questions from textbook. Good luck!

Violet Kwan 3H

Postby Violet Kwan 3H » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:32 am

Especially since you have other priorities to balance, it's good that you at least set aside a day to review. I recommend looking over old textbook problems or UA worksheets! Watching review videos on youtube can help too, especially if they go through practice problems. You got this!! :))

SophiaNguyen_2L

Postby SophiaNguyen_2L » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:38 am

I'm not too sure why, but it's really relieving to know that others are in the same position as me, so thank you for this post and all the supportive comments. I plan on spending all of Friday night and Saturday studying. I think I'm going to first go through all the notes for a unit on the syllabus and then do the textbook problems associated with it. If I have the energy, I might just make a study sheet of all the important concepts and equations I encounter, just so I have them all in one place. Good luck with you're studying! WE GOT THIS!!!

LeahSWM 2E

Postby LeahSWM 2E » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Them Yellow Redbulls from 7-eleven come clutch! lol honestly if you can go ham for today and Saturday, reviewing textbook problems, taking short breaks, and looking over some crash courses on YouTube, you can totally do it. I am in the same boat and honestly having a job can either kill you or make you work even harder.

Jalyn 3G

Postby Jalyn 3G » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:39 pm

If you haven't already spent a little bit of time studying/reviewing each day this past week, I would recommend doing as many textbook problems as you can on Saturday. Do every other problem assigned in the outlines, and if you have time left over, do the rest. Good luck!

Jacquelyn Challis 2B

Postby Jacquelyn Challis 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:21 pm

I am in the exact same boat so I'll be cramming all day today and Saturday as well! Wishing you luck:)

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:23 pm

I agree with all that's been mentioned above. You'll want to try doing as many practice problems as you can. However, if you come across a topic or two that you completely don't understand (and doubt you can figure it out quickly) I'd suggest skipping it and saving it for later! Make sure that you can do well and be confident on every other topic before moving on to the ones you struggle the most with. That way you can try to cover more bases.
Hopefully, you managed to get some studying done throughout the week, but regardless: You've got this! Good luck!

Nick P 3D

Postby Nick P 3D » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:24 pm

It is definitely possible, i'm not sure what kind of learner you are but for me just reading the textbook honestly helps the most as it can get it through my head and allow me to process it at my own pace. The second best thing I would recommend is the Sapling homeworks. Even if you don't know the material yet just going over the feedback when you submit an incorrect answer provides great explanations on each type of problem and that helps me a ton!

Valerie Tran 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 pm

It's possible somewhat. You won't be able to fully understand concepts or get adequate practice trust me on that. However, you can get try a general understanding of the concepts and just focus on ones that you feel are most confusing. I definitely wouldn't recommend this so try allocating a little bit of time everyday (15-30 minutes a day is better than 8 hour before finals).

Mehreen 3I

Postby Mehreen 3I » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:49 pm

It is definitely hard but not impossible. Try to do practice problems as much as you can. Good luck!

Cooper Kinne 2E

Postby Cooper Kinne 2E » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:07 pm

I sure hope so

Juliana Rosales 1H

Postby Juliana Rosales 1H » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:26 pm

Ill tell you this, you cannot study the whole quarter in one day if you nothing. I tried it last quarter and did not work out lol. Honestly if you payed attention to most of the quarter, you should be able to make use of all the studying that you put in. I don't recommend trying to learn anything new, as it probably won't do you much good except take up a good amount of time. Either way good luck!

Jonathan3B

Postby Jonathan3B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:30 am

I'm in a similar position and I'm just gonna give it my all and then move on with my life. I hope for the best but I know to expect the worst, it is what it is tho, I wish you luck tomorrow with your studying!

Jiayi Wu 3J

Postby Jiayi Wu 3J » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:33 pm

I would say YES. Give yourself one day to go over all the important concepts and equations and WRITE them down in a piece of paper.

Daria Obukhova 2B

Postby Daria Obukhova 2B » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:30 pm

I'd say that since you're in such a time crunch, don't focus on the super detailed parts and instead make sure you understand the big concepts and how they're all related. Make sure you get a couple practice problems in as well, bc eventhough you might understand concepts, solving the problems can get tricky.

Katelyn_Ortega_1D

Postby Katelyn_Ortega_1D » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm

If you're going to cram, I would say really work on practice problems. If you can figure out how to solve those you will have more confidence on the test since he models the test off of them. Good luck!

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:37 pm

It is possible but make sure you take breaks and rest your mind to make sure you actually get what you are studying

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:50 pm

I would recommend looking over the old Sapling problems and making sure that you can still follow their logic. Carefully read the solutions if there is something you don't get, and keep the constants and equations sheet close at hand so that you can note where to look when you encounter similar problems on the exam.

Sebastian2I

Postby Sebastian2I » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:51 pm

Also skim the chapters and focus on the example problems provided therein. They give good explanations and if you don't get something look right above them for an explanation.

Britney Tran IJ

Postby Britney Tran IJ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:53 pm

I think its best if you go over the sapling questions and explanations to really grasp the concepts of the final! It also helps to review over the concepts on the outline and your notes as well

Amanda Bueno-Kling
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Amanda Bueno-Kling » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:03 am

I've heard the practice problems in the book are really helpful. I also haven't had time to study, but that's what friends who took this class recommended. Do a few if you can!

Ethan Laureano 3H

Postby Ethan Laureano 3H » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:50 pm

I did that the day before the final. Only advise to do so if you already have a decent foundation on the topics and were paying attention during all the lectures.

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:02 pm

I feel as though it would be less stressful to maybe just do around 30 minutes a day in the future :)

Postby 005137088 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 am

I don’t know if one day it possible, it really depends on the kind of person you are and how fast you retain knowledge. But I hope you did well on the Final

Return to “Student Social/Study Group”