Describing the photoelectric effect

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

705912349 Dis 1C

Describing the photoelectric effect

Postby 705912349 Dis 1C » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:12 pm

19. Which one of following is not describing the photoelectric effect?
A. E (photon) – E (remove e-) = E (excess)
B. E (photon) – E (remove e-) = EK (e-) C. hv - work function = 1/2mv2
D. λv = c
E. None of the above

I found resources to the question above, however, there were conflicted answers. I am between D and E, because even though D is a true statement, I am unsure if it is entirely related to the photoelectric effect. If it is D could someone explain the reasoning? Thank you so much!

Aruushi Kaur 2B

Re: Describing the photoelectric effect

Postby Aruushi Kaur 2B » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:20 pm

Hi! I think the answer is D since although λv = c is related to figuring out components in the photoelectric effect, it is not directly related to it. It technically doesn't 'describe' the photoelectric effect. I hope that makes sense!

Ingrid 14A_2E

Re: Describing the photoelectric effect

Postby Ingrid 14A_2E » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:53 pm

Often when asked what describes a specific concept the description will be given through equations or models, in this case for the photoelectric effect this equation is expressed as E(photon)-E(energy remove e-) = Ek (e-).

However, variations of how different components within the equation can be thought to be helpful to "describe" this type of concepts.

Therefore if we read the question correctly as to which one is NOT describing the photoelectric effect you will rule out those that do make up the description of the photoelectric effect.

Hope this helped!

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”