Work Function and Threshold Energy  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

DanielaWong_2G

Work Function and Threshold Energy

Postby DanielaWong_2G » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Hi guys! So I'm a little unclear on whether the work function and the threshold energy are the same thing? I know the work function is the energy required to remove an electron but wouldn't it be the same number as the threshold energy?

Ashley Bertholf 1E

Re: Work Function and Threshold Energy  [ENDORSED]

Postby Ashley Bertholf 1E » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Hi Daniela!
To my understanding the work function is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from a metal surface, this means that every individual metal surface has its own specific and uniform work function. While on the other hand, the threshold energy is the specific frequency an incident light needs to reach to release electrons from a surface. Thus the minimum frequency the photons can have to produce an give off an electron is when the photon energy is equal to the work function. I hope this helped :)

The website below gives a few graphic examples that I think might help you!

http://physicsnet.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... -graph.jpg

Jasmine Cha 1A

Re: Work Function and Threshold Energy

Postby Jasmine Cha 1A » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:19 pm

Work function and threshold energy do have slight differences, but in the chem course reader Professor Lavelle used them interchangeably when describing an equation.

Janice Kim 3I

Re: Work Function and Threshold Energy

Postby Janice Kim 3I » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 am

The work function and the threshold energy both refer to the energy required to eject an electron from the metal surface. In the formula, E(photon)=E(energy remove electron) = E(excess), the E(energy remove electron) is the amount of work that needs to be put in the system in order to eject the electron. Although the work function specifically refers to the energy that needs to be put in, and the threshold energy refers to the frequency required to eject an electron, they are the same thing when calculating with the equation.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”