Determining the Series  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ava Harvey 2B

Determining the Series

Postby Ava Harvey 2B » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:39 pm

I just have a general question regarding certain problems from Chapter 1. How are you supposed to figure out what series (i.e. Lyman series, Balmer series, Paschen series, etc.) a certain problem is? A few questions from the homework asked about this, and I'm a little confused on how we determine that. If anyone has anything that would help I would appreciate it! Thanks so much!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Re: Determining the Series  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Hello! This is Ajith Raja one of the UA's.
So for Lyman series, all the spectral lines go down to the n=1 energy level. So in the Rydberg equation for the lower energy n, you would plug in 1 for Lyman series.
The same goes for Balmer and Paschen with Balmer n=2 and Paschen n=3.
Lyman series transitions absorb/emit photons in the UV region.
Balmer is visible and Paschen its IR.
Hope this helped!

Bansi Amin 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Determining the Series

Postby Bansi Amin 1D » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 pm

So when we're naming the series, do we name it from the lowest energy level? Like say the electron goes from n=3 to n=1. Would we name this as Paschen since that was the initial energy state in the problem, or do we name it as Lyman since n=1 is the lower state?

Jessica Beroukhim 3K

Re: Determining the Series

Postby Jessica Beroukhim 3K » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:15 am

The name of the series is based on which energy level n the electron drops down to at the end (not which one it started from at the top). So if it drops down to n=1 it's the Lyman series. Also n=1 is the lowest so it wouldn't make sense for there to be a series for electrons dropping from n=1.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”