Photon vs. Energy  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

MichelleKaku1H

Photon vs. Energy

Postby MichelleKaku1H » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 pm

Is "photon" and "energy" interchangeable? When question talks about a photon, does that mean the energy?

Janice Xiao 1I

Re: Photon vs. Energy

Postby Janice Xiao 1I » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:26 am

Energy is made up of discrete units called photons. You can calculate the energy of a photon. They're not exactly interchangeable but they're often associated with each other in photoelectric effect problems.

Nickolas Manipud 1C

Postby Nickolas Manipud 1C » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 am

They're not really interchangeable terms.

I like to think of photons as "packets" of light. Photons carry an energy that determines how fast they move. This is important because the photon's speed (aka their frequency) can help us find that photon's wavelength and energy.

Lily Sperling 1E

Postby Lily Sperling 1E » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:02 pm

They are not the same thing, yet they relate to each other. When asked to find energy, it is related to the photon's frequency and EM wavelength - the higher the Energy, the higher the frequency and vis versa. Same with the wavelength - the lower the E, the longer the EM wavelength is and vis versa. You can also be asked about the photon energy which is referring specifically to the amount of energy emitted from a single photon.

ZoeHahn1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby ZoeHahn1J » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Right - I like to think of it as photons as having energy. That is, you can calculate the energy of a photon, since photons are discrete units of light. Hope this was helpful!

YashDeshmukh1D

Postby YashDeshmukh1D » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:53 am

Is it possible to calculate the number of photons in a beam of light of a specified amount of energy?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 406 times

Re: Photon vs. Energy  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:05 pm

If you knew the exact energy of a light wave, you could divide that energy by the energy of a single photon of the light frequency to find the total number of photons.

To one of the earlier posts on this thread, the energy of a photon does not determine speed. All photons move at the speed of light.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”