Post Module #25

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lianna Kishi 1A

Post Module #25

Postby Lianna Kishi 1A » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Can someone help me with this question and explain the answer? I thought the answer would be C but it's wrong.
25. Photoelectric experiments gave rise to a new equation relating the energy of light to its frequency. Select the right equation.
a)
b)
c)
d) E=
e) None of the above.

Thanks!

Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Post Module #25

Postby Ryan Sydney Beyer 2B » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:09 pm

The correct answer is D for this question. The results of the photoelectric experiments came as a surprise to scientists because light was not acting like a typical wave in that when intensity was increased, energy was increased. Instead the photoelectric experiments showed that when the frequency of light was increased, then the energy of the light was increased. This core finding from the set of experiments is at the heart of the equation

Matthew Lee 3L

Re: Post Module #25

Postby Matthew Lee 3L » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:31 pm

I agree with Ryan on this one. They found out that the frequency of light affected the energy rather than the intensity, which just increased the number of photons in the beam of light. If you look at the E=hv equation, you can see that as frequency goes up, so does energy. Since h is just a constant, the only thing affecting energy is the frequency which has a positive relationship with energy.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”