Original Photoelectric Experiment

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nina_A_Section1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Original Photoelectric Experiment

Postby Nina_A_Section1E » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:49 pm

What was the photoelectric experiment originally designed to do? I didn't catch this from the lecture or module video, and I'm not really sure

A. Measure how much energy is required to remove an electron from a metal surface.

B. Measure how much energy is required to add an electron to a metal surface.

C. Measure how much free energy is released to remove an electron from a metal surface.

D. Measure how much free energy is released to add an electron to a metal surface.

E. None of the above

Toru Fiberesima 1L

Re: Original Photoelectric Experiment

Postby Toru Fiberesima 1L » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:11 pm

I believe the aim was to observe how the transfer of energy from light to an electron in the metal results in the emission of said electron from the metal

Moris 1H

Postby Moris 1H » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:42 pm

I think there through previous experiments it was observed that electrons were emitted from various metals when different energy levels of beams pointed at it and so the photoelectric experiment was to identify why/how that happened. Eventually the discrete levels of energy were discovered.

Marina Souliman 1K

Postby Marina Souliman 1K » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:02 am

From what I remember in lecture, it was an experiment where they tried to get an idea if there was enough energy from UV light to remove an electron from the sheet metal. I'm confused about the idea of free energy though.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”