Frequency on Photoelectric Effect

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Erin Li 1K

Frequency on Photoelectric Effect

Postby Erin Li 1K » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:53 pm

If a certain frequency is not ejecting electrons. Does increasing frequency eject electrons?
Also what increases the number of electrons ejected?

Jade Corpus-Sapida 1G

Re: Frequency on Photoelectric Effect

Postby Jade Corpus-Sapida 1G » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:08 am

From lecture, I remember Professor Lavelle explaining the experiment where increasing the intensity of the light wouldn't eject any electrons. There is the need to increase the energy, and by increasing the energy is an increase in frequency. Waves with higher frequency have higher energy levels . So yes, increasing the frequency will eject the electrons. As for the second question, I'm not quite sure either. I think it has to deal with the type of metal used within the experiment?

Luis Avalos 1D

Postby Luis Avalos 1D » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:30 am

The number of electrons ejected has to do with the intensity. The photoelectric effect only takes one electron into account without the intensity in mind, I believe.

nelquosey

Postby nelquosey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:29 am

Since it's a one photon to one atom to one electron interaction increasing the number of photons (increasing the intensity) should increase the number of electrons ejected, this answers your second question. However, you need to keep in mind that different metals have different work functions and threshold frequencies when analyzing this experiment so don't try to make generalizations about ALL interactions because many things can and will vary.

KristinaNguyen_1A

Postby KristinaNguyen_1A » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:08 am

You will need to shorten the wavelength, which in turn increases the frequency and that will eject the electron. The relationship between photon and electron is a 1 to 1 relationship, so if 10 photons are shot at the metal, 10 electroms will be ejected.

Isobel Tweedt 1E

Postby Isobel Tweedt 1E » Sat May 05, 2018 12:46 pm

If you do have a high enough frequency (which in turn decreases the wavelength) then increasing the intensity will result in the release of more electrons. This is because more photons are hitting the metal and thus able to eject more electrons. As it says in the post above 10 photons that meet the proper threshold energy would release 10 electrons, so if you intensify the light then the increase in photons will lead to an increase in electrons being released.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”