Photoelectric Effect

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Adrienne_4F

Photoelectric Effect

Postby Adrienne_4F » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi, I'm a little confused. When Professor Lavelle explained higher energy in the lecture he did not mean higher intensity correct? A higher intensity would generate more protons but not stronger protons. A higher energy would generate stronger protons. Is my understanding correct or? Also what is the difference between higher intensity and higher energy, if they're different. Thank you!

Leela_Mohan3L

Re: Photoelectric Effect

Postby Leela_Mohan3L » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi Adrienne. According to the photoelectric effect, light is made up of photons. When you have light with a long wavelength, the photons in that light do not have sufficient energy to remove an electron from an atom of a metal. When you increase the amplitude of this light wave (aka the intensity of the light) while keeping the wavelength the same, you will get more photons, however none of photons will have enough energy to eject an electron from an atom of metal.

But, if you decrease the wavelength of the light, each photon in that light will have sufficient energy to remove an electron from an atom of a metal.

Ultimately,
higher intensity = a greater amount of photons
higher energy = each photon has more energy

I hope that made sense!

Parth Mungra

Re: Photoelectric Effect

Postby Parth Mungra » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:06 am

You are correct about intensity and energy of photons. The intensity of a photon determines how many photons there are. A strong, intense light will be able to bounce off more electrons from the sheet of metal because there are more photons, and each photon interacts with one electron. Higher energy photons means that there will be a higher excess of energy that will be given to the electron that the photon interacts with.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”