Confusion on calculating the dropping of an energy level

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

katietietsworth_3c

Confusion on calculating the dropping of an energy level

Postby katietietsworth_3c » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi I am confused on how to calculate the energy gained or lost when an electron moves up an energy level/dropped. Can someone please explain the steps to calculating the change in energy.

Danielle_Gallandt3I

Re: Confusion on calculating the dropping of an energy level

Postby Danielle_Gallandt3I » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 pm

So when an electron moves down an energy level it is releasing energy (typically in the form of light). In that case, we are trying to calculate the energy lost from the electron, which should equal the energy of a photon. The equation you would use is E= -hR/n^2, where h and R are constants and n=the energy level the electron is on. This equation will apply to both an electron moving up a level and moving down a level. You calculate the energy of the electron at whatever level it is at (using the equation) then you calculate the energy of the electron at whatever level it is going to. Then, to find the change in energy (which will equal the energy of the photon that was emitted) you subtract the initial energy of the electron from the final energy of the electron. If you are going down an energy level you should get a negative number, but if it is going up an energy level you will get a positive number.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”