Purpose of the Photoelectric Effect

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KalayaHill2L

Purpose of the Photoelectric Effect

Postby KalayaHill2L » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Why is it important to know what the photoelectric effect is? Is it just supposed to explain that light doesn't act only as a wave but as a particle too?

harshitasarambale4I

Re: Purpose of the Photoelectric Effect

Postby harshitasarambale4I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:49 pm

The photoelectric effect is important because it helps explain the duality of light. It proves that light not only acts as a wave but also as a photon. It also helps explain certain behaviors of light that were unclear when assuming light was only a wave.

Timothy_Yueh_4L

Postby Timothy_Yueh_4L » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:06 pm

The photoelectric effect also shows a difference between the quantum and mechanical models of waves. In the macro world, an increase in energy would result in an increase in amplitude whereas in the quantum world an increase in energy would result in an increase in frequency.

Postby 305113590 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:01 pm

It demonstrated that the classical model was not working. Scientists thought that increasing amplitude would increase kinetic energy. However, it was light's frequency that increased kinetic energy. Long wavelength and high intensity light doesn't necessarily result in electron ejection.

becca_vandyke_4b

Postby becca_vandyke_4b » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:19 pm

I think one of the big main points of learning of this effect was
1) the experiment did not occur as expected and
2) drawing the model can help us figure out how to do the math with the different types of energy, such as the energy of photon going towards the metal, the threshold energy, and the energy of the electron after. Knowing the experiment helps with these calculations.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”