test 2 question 5 (neon lamp)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

test 2 question 5 (neon lamp)

Postby 905085650 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Can someone explain parts A and B of this question to me? I'm having a problem with the conceptual aspect of this question.

Thank you!!

Jewelyana3A

Re: test 2 question 5 (neon lamp)

Postby Jewelyana3A » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm not sure if I am answering the question the way that you need, but here's how I solved it. For the neon lamp question a) It asked for the frequency of the emitted photon. I first realized that I needed to use the equation E=hv. Since the problem provided the energy 3.61x10^-22kJ you need to convert this to Joules. So this would be 3.61x10^-19 J. Then since h is planks constant you just need to solve for v(the frequency). This part can get confusing, but since it only asks for the frequency it just becomes a matter of knowing the equation to use.
Then, for b. It is asking to describe the nature of the energy levels in the Ne atoms. So, since the questions provide the information that the electrons are moving and resulting in an excitation of the electrons this means that the energy levels are experiencing electrons going from a higher to a lower energy level. This happens when the electrons are excited.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”