Work Function

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Elyssa Smith 4B

Work Function

Postby Elyssa Smith 4B » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:18 am

What is the work function and which part of the equation from class represents the work function?

Michael Du 1E

Re: Work Function

Postby Michael Du 1E » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:54 am

The work function is essentially the threshold energy, the energy required to remove an electron. I don't think there's a function for it.

Ashley Tran 2I

Postby Ashley Tran 2I » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:00 am

The work function from what we've been introduced to in lecture shows the minimum energy required to eject an electron from a metal surface. It also shows a relationship between the energy of the incoming photon and the kinetic energy of the e- since it is the difference between the energy of the incoming photon (E=hv) and the work function of the metal.

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:29 pm

The work function is the energy needed to remove an electron from the surface of a metal. There is an equation that in words goes like this "E(photon)-E(energy needed to remove e-)=kinetic energy of e-). So the work function is needed to solve for the kinetic energy of an electron, or excess energy. Usually the work function is given in the question, or if the question states that a certain amount of energy releases an electron with no kinetic energy then you know that energy is the work function.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”