Photoelectric Effect Intensity of Light

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Doreen Liu 4D

Photoelectric Effect Intensity of Light

Postby Doreen Liu 4D » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:02 pm

When the experiment changed the intensity of the light on the metal, does that mean the frequency increased? How is intensity measured?

Andrew Liang 1I

Re: Photoelectric Effect Intensity of Light

Postby Andrew Liang 1I » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:25 pm

When the experiment changed the intensity of the light on the metal, it is only changing the amount of photons in the light. Lower intensity means less photons and thus dimmer light. Electromagnetic wave does not behave the same as sound wave or ocean wave. When we increase the intensity of an EM wave the frequency does not change. In order to increase the frequency, the experiment needed to a completely different type of EM wave that has higher frequency.

Bradley Whitworth 4B

Postby Bradley Whitworth 4B » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 pm

The electromagnetic wave being used did not change hence the frequency did not change. By increasing the intensity you are simply increasing the number of photons being directed in the light towards the surface.

Tai Metzger 3K

Postby Tai Metzger 3K » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Using the wave model of light, increasing intensity of light increased the amplitude of the wave, not the frequency. However, in the quantum model of light the intensity of light corresponds to number of photons (i.e. doubling the brightness doubles the number of photons but has no effect on frequency of each individual photon).

Postby 805097738 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:45 am

intensity is related to number of photons.
more photons= higher intensity

Shutong Hou_1F

Postby Shutong Hou_1F » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:04 pm

When the experiment changed the intensity of the light on the metal, the frequency didn't increase. When the intensity of light increases, the number of photons per unit of area increase.

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B

Postby Rohan Kubba Dis 4B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Another important aspect to remember is that each photon interacts with only one electron, and furthermore, if you increase the intensity of the light and if you have enough energy per photon, then more electrons would be emitted.

Tiffany Vo 3G

Postby Tiffany Vo 3G » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:30 pm

I think intensity is basically a measure of how many photons are available. With intensity, it usually correlates to the wave model of light, but frequency typically correlates with the photon model of light. Frequency is increased when wavelengths are shorter, but that has no correlation to the amplitude of the wave. For the most part, I think amplitude of the wave is related to the intensity of light.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”