Differences between Particle and Wave

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I

Differences between Particle and Wave

Postby Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Hey can someone please help explain the differences exactly? I'm a bit confused.

Ada Chung 1C

Re: Differences between Particle and Wave

Postby Ada Chung 1C » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:02 pm

There are two models: In the wave model the intensity of radiation is proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave and in the particle model intensity is proportional to the number of photons. Electrons and all matters have both particle and wavelike properties. This would be known as the wave-particle duality of matter. A particle would only occupy one space whereas in a wave frequency is involved as it is spread out over space. Throughout this chapter, the book goes into detail about how scientists were able to deduce that it was not just one model or the other.

Alex Chen 2L

Postby Alex Chen 2L » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:06 pm

I'm going to use light as the example we went over in lecture. Light has wavelike properties in that it oscillates and has a wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. However, it also has particle-like properties since the photoelectric effect demonstrates that light carries energy in discrete amounts within photons, meaning that light intensity (energy) does not increase with amplitude of the wave, but instead with a shorter wavelength and therefore a higher frequency of photons being emitted.

In short, particles carry a specific (discrete) amount of energy and can behave like a wave sometimes, as demonstrated by light. They are not necessary separate.

Nicholas_Gladkov_2J

Postby Nicholas_Gladkov_2J » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Timmy Nguyen Dis 3F wrote:Hey can someone please help explain the differences exactly? I'm a bit confused.

I believe that all matter has wavelike properties, however only when objects have a very small mass, e- for example, can such wavelike properties be actually tested upon. Seen with De Broglie's equation, any moving particle with momentum has wavelike properties, however the waves length will be so small it cannot be physically measurable/detected in a laboratory setting.

Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I

Postby Timmy Nguyen Dis 1I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:39 pm

Ada Chung 1C wrote:There are two models: In the wave model the intensity of radiation is proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave and in the particle model intensity is proportional to the number of photons. Electrons and all matters have both particle and wavelike properties. This would be known as the wave-particle duality of matter. A particle would only occupy one space whereas in a wave frequency is involved as it is spread out over space. Throughout this chapter, the book goes into detail about how scientists were able to deduce that it was not just one model or the other.

Wait so if something has wavelike properties it can exist in multiple places at the same time?? or am I getting really confused?

Luyan Zhang - 2D

Postby Luyan Zhang - 2D » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:16 pm

On the large scale, light acts like a wave (diffraction). On the small scale, light is composed of photons, or particles (photoelectric effect).

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”