Photoelectric Effect

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Haley Pham 4I

Photoelectric Effect

Postby Haley Pham 4I » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:05 pm

Regarding the experiment in which long wavelength light does not eject electrons from a metal surface even with the increased intensity of the light, if it tells us that light not only has wavelike properties, then what other properties does it have?

Aarushi Solanki 4F

Re: Photoelectric Effect

Postby Aarushi Solanki 4F » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 pm

When electrons weren't ejected when the intensity (corresponding to amplitude for the wave model of light) was increased, they realized light wasn't acting like a wave. Increasing the intensity should've meant the wave had more energy. However, even using a light with low intensity caused electrons to be ejected as the change was an increased frequency. This indicates that light exists also as "packets of energy," or in a quantized value of a photon.

Lauren Stack 1C

Postby Lauren Stack 1C » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Light has both wave-like and particle-like tendencies. The particle-like behavior is reflected in photons, which I think of as a small package of energy.

Giselle Littleton 1F

Postby Giselle Littleton 1F » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:55 pm

Light also has particle-like properties as a stream of electromagnetic energy consisting of photons. Light can be absorbed or emitted in quantized or discrete values.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”