Intensity v Frequency

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

TanveerDhaliwal3G

Intensity v Frequency

Postby TanveerDhaliwal3G » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Can someone explain the difference between intensity and frequency?

Mashkinadze_1D

Re: Intensity v Frequency

Postby Mashkinadze_1D » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Frequency is the speed at which light travels, while intensity is the amount of light or photons present. bFor example, when we change the wavelength then we change the frequency in aspects such as different colors. In contrast, the intensity would be compared to having one light source shining light and then having three, the intensity would increase by three. Imagine intensity as shining more or a stronger light on the same object while frequency is changing the actual characteristic of light that is shining.

Sartaj Bal 1J

Postby Sartaj Bal 1J » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:39 pm

With regards to the photoelectric effect and wave model of light, doubling the intensity (greater amplitude for wave) of the light source should have emitted electrons. Energy was correlated to intensity. However, this result did not occur. For the photon model, intensity correlates to increasing the number of photons emitted from the light source and electrons were ejected when a high enough frequency occurred. Energy is proportional to frequency here. This experiment demonstrates the wave-particle duality of electromagnetic radiation.

Matthew Tsai 2H

Postby Matthew Tsai 2H » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Intensity is determined by amplitude of a wave while frequency is determined by the length (specifically how short) a wave is. In the famous photoelectric effect experiment, it was determined that the energy of light is proportional to frequency, rather than the expected which was amplitude/intensity, thus demonstrating the wave-particle duality.

Kimme Chun 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kimme Chun 1I » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 pm

The frequency is referring to how much energy a photon has and the intensity is referring to how many photons are present.

Sean1F

Postby Sean1F » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:50 pm

Kimme Chun 1I wrote:The frequency is referring to how much energy a photon has and the intensity is referring to how many photons are present.

I don't think they have a direct relationship since both can vary.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”