1B.3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abigail Carter 4G

1B.3

Postby Abigail Carter 4G » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:34 pm

1B.3 From the following list of observations, select the one that best supports the idea that electromagnetic radiation has the properties of particles. Explain your reasoning.
(a) Black-body radiation.
(b) Electron diffraction.
(c) Atomic spectra.
(d) The photoelectric effect.

Can someone help me with this problem? I am still a little bit confused about electromagnetic radiation in general.

Christine Honda 2I

Re: 1B.3

Postby Christine Honda 2I » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:39 pm

In the photoelectric experiment, a certain light was used to attempt to eject an electron from a metal. The experiment showed that if the light were a wave, then simply increasing the intensity would increase energy. But, increasing the intensity of the light did not result in ejection. Scientists then tried changing the type of light to a lower wavelength which worked to eject an electron from metal, this proved that light has particle properties. The increase in intensity just increases the number of particles and so you actually need the right energy instead of intensity.

Jesalynne 2F

Postby Jesalynne 2F » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:43 pm

The answer would be d, because the photoelectric effect was explained to have electromagnetic radiation and it’s composed of photons that each have fixed energy that equals to h*v.

Victoria Otuya 4F

Postby Victoria Otuya 4F » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 pm

I think it's also D because in the readings above, it stated that the photoelectric pic effect strongly supports the view that electromagnetic radiation consists of photons that behave like particles.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”