Threshold Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lizette Noriega 1H

Threshold Energy

Postby Lizette Noriega 1H » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am

Hello, I just need clarification on threshold energy. I know the threshold energy is the energy needed in order to eject electrons from a metal surface but in terms of the equation, is it represented by the work function? Thanks!

Vanessa Chuang 4F

Re: Threshold Energy

Postby Vanessa Chuang 4F » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:35 pm

Yes, you are correct. In terms of the equation, the threshold energy would be represented by the work function. The work function technically refers to the energy the system needs to be put in whereas the threshold energy is what you defined it as.
But honestly the two are basically the same thing for our purposes in this class.

Camellia Liu 1J

Postby Camellia Liu 1J » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:40 pm

To add on, work function is the smallest amount of energy needed to remove an electron from a metallic surface while the threshold energy refers to the frequency required to release the electron from the surface. But essentially they both refer to the energy required to eject an electron from the metal surface and I believe they can be used interchangeably in this class.

Letty Liu 2C

Postby Letty Liu 2C » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:25 am

Yes, I believe the threshold energy and work function interchangeable terms.

Caitlin Ciardelli 3E

Postby Caitlin Ciardelli 3E » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:31 pm

threshold energy and work function are referring to the same concept. It is important to find whether the energy of the incoming photon matches or is greater than the work function because this determines whether or not an electron will be emitted from the metal surface.

Betania Hernandez 2E

Postby Betania Hernandez 2E » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Yes, the threshold energy is represented by the work function. In order for an electron to be ejected from the metal surface, the photon has to have more energy than the work function.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”