Ionization Energy vs Threshold Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Yazmin Bocanegra 3L

Ionization Energy vs Threshold Energy

Postby Yazmin Bocanegra 3L » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Are ionization energy and threshold energy the same thing?

Qiu Ya Wu 4I

Re: Ionization Energy vs Threshold Energy

Postby Qiu Ya Wu 4I » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Threshold energy and ionization energy both have to do with the minimum energy required to remove an electron from an element but threshold energy refers to the energy needed to remove an electron from a metal (photoelectric effect) while ionization energy has to do with the energy needed to remove an electron from a gas.

Simon Dionson 4I

Postby Simon Dionson 4I » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:36 pm

Threshold energy is the minimum energy needed to remove an electron from a metal surface (photoelectric effect). Ionization energy is the energy needed to remove an electron from an element.

Matthew Tsai 2H

Postby Matthew Tsai 2H » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Threshold energy (represented by the work function) is relevant to the photoelectric effect because it refers to the energy required to remove a single electron from a certain metal surface. On the other hand, ionization energy is defined as the energy required to remove an electron from an atom in the gas phase.

ShreyaKannan1B

Postby ShreyaKannan1B » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Qiu Ya Wu 4F wrote:Threshold energy and ionization energy both have to do with the minimum energy required to remove an electron from an element but threshold energy refers to the energy needed to remove an electron from a metal (photoelectric effect) while ionization energy has to do with the energy needed to remove an electron from a gas.

Thanks for this!

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”