Photoelectric effect

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Funmi Baruwa

Photoelectric effect

Postby Funmi Baruwa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:42 pm

I want to make sure I understand this concept so can someone confirm my understanding, or help explain it better.

The photoelectric effect is simply just stating that there are other properties of light that affects its energy transmission.

Please feel free to further explain this concept even if it seems correct. I appreciate any feedback

Thank you :)

Samantha Pedersen 2K
Been upvoted: 9 times

Re: Photoelectric effect

Postby Samantha Pedersen 2K » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:49 pm

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where light of certain frequencies projected onto a metal causes electrons to be ejected from the metal. The observation of this effect led to the theory that light has not only wavelike properties, but particle-like/photon-like properties too.

Vanshika Bhushan 1A

Postby Vanshika Bhushan 1A » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Light has can behave as a particle and a wave due to the photoelectric effect. According to the photoelectric effect, when light of high enough energy comes in contact with a metal surface, electrons will be emitted from the metal. Light below a certain threshold frequency will not cause any electrons to be emitted. Electrons can gain energy by interacting with photons. The photoelectric effect states that light behaves like a stream of photons with an energy of E= hv, where h is Planck’s constant (6.626 x 10^-34 Js) and v is the frequency of the light in Hz.

Funmi Baruwa

Postby Funmi Baruwa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:10 pm

thank you so much that makes a lot more sense!!

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”