Sapling 2 Problem 3

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alison Perkins 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Sapling 2 Problem 3

Postby Alison Perkins 2B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:12 pm

Why is it that when we are given an energy of E, frequency of v, and wavelength of λ,
E=100 while λ and v are not altered when applied to 100 photons??

Sana Nagori 2H

Re: Sapling 2 Problem 3

Postby Sana Nagori 2H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:19 pm

For these kind of questions I like to visualize sin graphs in my head. Each photon will get one graph; if you then increase it to 100 photons, the shape of each graph (wavelength and frequency) doesn't change, simply the number of graphs you have.
Last edited by Sana Nagori 2H on Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shanna Yu 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Shanna Yu 1C » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Hi!

The quantity of photons doesn't matter in this case, where light is behaving like particles. Increasing the number of photons only increases the light's intensity, which isn't directly related to the variables the question gives you.

It's kinda like in the photoelectric effect, where increasing the light's intensity still didn't make electrons eject because what's really needed is a higher frequency of light.

Sana Nagori 2H

Postby Sana Nagori 2H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Shanna Yu 3F wrote:Hi!

The quantity of photons doesn't matter in this case, where light is behaving like particles. Increasing the number of photons only increases the light's intensity, which isn't directly related to the variables the question gives you.

It's kinda like in the photoelectric effect, where increasing the light's intensity still didn't make electrons eject because what's really needed is a higher frequency of light.

It wouldn't matter even if we did assume the light was acting as a wave right? Because in the wave model amplitude is related to energy but you can still change amplitude while keeping wavelength and frequency constant as it is an independent value.

Shanna Yu 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Shanna Yu 1C » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:49 pm

Sana Nagori 2J wrote:
Shanna Yu 3F wrote:Hi!

It wouldn't matter even if we did assume the light was acting as a wave right? Because in the wave model amplitude is related to energy but you can still change amplitude while keeping wavelength and frequency constant as it is an independent value.

Yeah! I guess I was just thinking about how the question specified 100 photons and stated it that way.

Astha Sahoo 3I

Postby Astha Sahoo 3I » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:39 pm

So the energy may increase due to more photons, but the frequency and wavelength of each photon would stay the same! It's like if you had 100 cars crashing into a building at the same speed - the impact would be 100x that of one car, but the speed for all of the cars would still be the same.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”