Do we need to know about the Paschen or Brackett series for midterm 1?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicolette Simoni 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Do we need to know about the Paschen or Brackett series for midterm 1?

Postby Nicolette Simoni 3L » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 pm

I know the Lyman and Balmer series were spoken of in the module and lecture, but do we need to know about the Paschen and Brackett series too? It was mentioned in question 1A.11. Thanks!

sophie esherick 3H
Been upvoted: 6 times

Re: Do we need to know about the Paschen or Brackett series for midterm 1?

Postby sophie esherick 3H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:53 pm

It might be good to know that Paschen is n= 3 (infrared region) and Brackett is n= 4 but I don't think you will have to know anything more than that.

Winzel Payumo 1B

Postby Winzel Payumo 1B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:21 pm

I think it's only useful to know the lowest energy for Paschen (n=3) and Brackett (n=4) for now since it wasn't really focused on!

Ashley Kim 3H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Ashley Kim 3H » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 pm

As others mentioned, I think it's a good idea to know what energy level transitions each series fall under but I don't think we need to know about them in too much detail!

Crystal Pan 2G
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Crystal Pan 2G » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:32 am

Dr. Lavelle has said during lecture that we will mostly be dealing with UV, visible, and infrared regions, so that would be Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen series. It might also be good to know that n=4 is the Brackett series

Becca Nelson 3F

Postby Becca Nelson 3F » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:30 pm

I think it would be good to know about Paschen (n=3), but I do not think it is necessary to know Brackett. I think you should be able to explain that as energy levels get higher they get closer together and patterns like this but not necessarily the name.

Chris_Butler_1A

Postby Chris_Butler_1A » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Crystal Pan 1B wrote:Dr. Lavelle has said during lecture that we will mostly be dealing with UV, visible, and infrared regions, so that would be Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen series. It might also be good to know that n=4 is the Brackett series

Do you think it would also be wise to know the nm measurements for the Paschen and Brackett series as with Lyman and Balmer?

Sedge Greenlee

Postby Sedge Greenlee » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Chris_Butler_1A wrote:
Crystal Pan 1B wrote:Dr. Lavelle has said during lecture that we will mostly be dealing with UV, visible, and infrared regions, so that would be Lyman, Balmer, and Paschen series. It might also be good to know that n=4 is the Brackett series

Do you think it would also be wise to know the nm measurements for the Paschen and Brackett series as with Lyman and Balmer?
I think it is more important to know conceptually what energy levels the series relate to rather than the actual measurements.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”