Photoelectric Effect  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cecilia Cisneros 1F

Photoelectric Effect

Postby Cecilia Cisneros 1F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:53 pm

Can someone help me understand part C for this question? In the manual it says its based on the wave model, but if someone could explain it further I would appreciate it!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 10.49.56 PM.png

Ria Nawathe 1C
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Photoelectric Effect

Postby Ria Nawathe 1C » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:04 pm

If you think about EM radiation as a wave of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other, the frequency is related to how the electric field changes, or oscillates, with time. The greater the frequency, the faster the field changes/oscillates. The smaller the frequency, the less the field at a given point changes in a given amount of time. Hope this helps!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 885 times

Re: Photoelectric Effect  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Cecilia Cisneros 1J wrote:Can someone help me understand part C for this question? In the manual it says its based on the wave model, but if someone could explain it further I would appreciate it!

It may help to draw out two waves of the same amplitude, one with frequency x and one with frequency x/2. The extent of the change in the electric field at any given point is simply the slope of the tangent line at that point (aka the derivative if you took calculus before). The wave with the lower frequency should have a shallower slope at any given point compared to the wave with the higher frequency.

Yasmina Zaarour 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Yasmina Zaarour 1G » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:17 pm

Additionally, if you think about how the number of wavelengths within a certain distance as the extent of the change, then if the frequency decreases, the wavelength increases, so there is less wavelengths.

Gabriel Nitro 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Gabriel Nitro 1E » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi,

In the context of the chapter, recall that we are studying electromagnetic radiation. By the name, it implies the radiation were are studying exhibits an electric field ("electro-") and a magnetic field ("-magnetic). Now, you can think of an electric field as an array of an infinite amount of arrows (vectors) pointing upwards to create the individual points of a wave.

Assuming you were to alter the frequency or wavelength of the wave is some manner, you would inevitably alter the height and thus the electric field vectors.

Hope this helps! :)

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”