Need help with Experiment Conclusions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Anirudh Mahadev 1B

Need help with Experiment Conclusions

Postby Anirudh Mahadev 1B » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:55 pm

So if I'm correct, the experiment where they shot electrons through slits and saw interference and diffraction, proving the wave model of electrons. The photoelectric effect showed the particle model of light because increasing intensity at the same wavelength didn't eject electrons while a higher frequency did eject electrons. Can someone please verify this and explain the diffraction experiment in greater detail? Also, are these, along with atomic spectra, the only experiments we will need to know for the midterm?

Charlotte Adams 2D

Re: Need help with Experiment Conclusions

Postby Charlotte Adams 2D » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:39 am

I believe these are the only experiments we need to know for the midterm, and I think they observed diffraction patterns when shooting electrons through a crystal.

Emily Ding 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Emily Ding 1H » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:23 pm

For the diffraction experiment, I think one crucial detail is that the incident light showed up directly behind the barrier, which could only be possible if the electrons had wave like properties. I think Dr. Lavelle described the electrons as forming a wavelet and engaging in constructive interference. I don't think the details of this experiment are very important though, rather the implications, which you totally have down.

Austin Aldujaili 2E

Postby Austin Aldujaili 2E » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 pm

In the diffraction experiment, the wave-like properties are shown in the constructive and destructive interference of the radiation when they go through the slits in the wall. If light solely acted as a particle, then the light would have only showed up right behind the openings in the wall, yet it showed up in other "blocked" places as well.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”