Sapling Question Converting GHz

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mackenzie Fernandez 3G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Sapling Question Converting GHz

Postby Mackenzie Fernandez 3G » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 am

hi!

For one of the sapling questions, it asks:
"Considering that microwave ovens radiate at 2.45 GHz, how would you respond to the debate?"

How do you convert the GHz so that you are able to solve this equation? The Sapling "Solutions" tab did not elaborate on how to convert this. I know that giga is 10^9 but I can't seem to get the right answer. If someone could provide a step-by-step that would be great!
Thank you!

Jessica Katz
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Sapling Question Converting GHz

Postby Jessica Katz » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:05 am

the problem should be solved normally but you should convert 2.45 GHz to just Hz by making it 2.45 * 10^9 1/s. What is the rest of the problem asking you to solve for? If it is wavelength then use the equation c=(wavelength)(frequency) because it has given you the frequency. And from there determine if it falls under the microwave part of the EM spectrum.

Queena Chu 3E

Re: Sapling Question Converting GHz

Postby Queena Chu 3E » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:01 pm

You would multiply 2.45 by 10^9 to convert to Hz. I believe the question asks you to find the maximum wavelength in which you would use lambda = h*c/E and then it also asks for the energy (in which you would use E = h*v) to see if it is greater than or less than the normal work function.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”