Rydberg Equation question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Marco Morales 2G

Rydberg Equation question

Postby Marco Morales 2G » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:53 pm

Is the Rydberg Equation given in the textbook (equation 2: v = R {1/n1 - 1/n2} ) the same as the equation given to us in lecture: ( En = -hR/n^2 )? I know they don't look the same lol, but it's because in one of the Sapling homework problems I had to use the the first equation, given in the book, when we never really used that equation in lecture, if I recall correctly ?

Andrew Jubintoro 3A

Re: Rydberg Equation question

Postby Andrew Jubintoro 3A » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:06 pm

You can derive the Rydberg equation from
When an electron gets excited from energy level n1 to n2
Last edited by Andrew Jubintoro 3A on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mohamed Mido

Postby Mohamed Mido » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:07 pm

I am pretty sure those are two different equations that give different results because I remember using the second one instead of the first one for a Sapling question and I didn't get the correct answer. En = -hR/n^2 gives you the amount of energy released which is why it is a negative value, while the second equation gives you frequency.

Leyna Tran 2D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Leyna Tran 2D » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:40 pm

hi, those two equations are the same equations. As shown in the previous post, once you derive the En=-hR/n^2 equation, you will get v=R(1/n^2-1/n^2). You can use either one to solve problems. However, Dr. Lavelle prefers us to use the first equation because it allows us to understand the concept more than the second one.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”