Nodal Plane

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nodal Plane

Postby 805594676 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:56 pm

What does it mean when Professor Lavelle says that p and d have nodal planes and what is the significance of this? In addition, why don't s orbitals have nodal planes?

Re: Nodal Plane

Postby 805754009 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:28 pm

Nodal planes are regions where the probability of finding an electron is 0. S orbitals don't have any nodal planes because they are sphere shaped, so electrons can be found at any point within the sphere. Orbital p has one nodal plane because there are two lobes on either side of the nucleus where electrons can be found. Between, those two lobes, the probability of finding an electron is essentially 0, therefore it is a nodal plane. Orbital d, follows a similar concept except there are two planes where the probably of finding an electron is essentially 0, making them nodal planes.

Phoebe Ko 3E

Postby Phoebe Ko 3E » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:27 pm

The previous comment explained the concept of nodal plane really well. Just to expand a bit more though, I think Dr. Lavelle drew a diagram of a horizontal px axis running across the two lobes of the p-orbital in class. The center of the two lobes, where the nucleus is located, is where there is a vertical nodal plane. As the center lies on the px axis, wave function = 0 and electron density distribution = (wave function)^2 = 0. Since there is no electron density distribution at the nodal plane, the probability of finding electrons on the nodal plane is 0. The two nodal planes in the d-orbital follow a similar idea, but since there are now 4 lobes, there will be 2 nodal planes intersecting perpendicularly to each other and through the centers of the paired lobes.

madeleinewright

Postby madeleinewright » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:49 pm

Nodal planes are regions in an electron cloud where the electron density is 0. S orbitals are shaped like a sphere, so they do not have a nodal plane. P and D orbitals have nodal planes because they have multiple lobes, and the region between these lobes has an electron density of 0.

Warren Jolicoeur 1B

Postby Warren Jolicoeur 1B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:26 pm

Think of orbitals as balloons were electrons lie. The nodal plane is the area between the two balloons where no electrons lie. The S orbital is completely spherical so there is no space for a nodal plane. Image

Christine Huerta 3D

Postby Christine Huerta 3D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:30 pm

Warren Jolicoeur 1B wrote:Think of orbitals as balloons were electrons lie. The nodal plane is the area between the two balloons where no electrons lie. The S orbital is completely spherical so there is no space for a nodal plane. Image

I think this helps. The thought of regions of probability kind of intimidates me, so I just need to drill in the connection.

Mason_Hoppe_1A

Postby Mason_Hoppe_1A » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:47 pm

I think I understand the concept of nodal planes (of orbital diagrams in general for that matter) but how will we be applying it in class and on tests? That is to say, I'm worried that the concept seems too simple to me as I feel I'm missing a large part of the concept.

Postby 305824279 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:44 pm

Mason_Hoppe_1A wrote:I think I understand the concept of nodal planes (of orbital diagrams in general for that matter) but how will we be applying it in class and on tests? That is to say, I'm worried that the concept seems too simple to me as I feel I'm missing a large part of the concept.

I think we will start using the concept more if we do orbital diagrams.

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”