Kinetic Energy  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Karen Harrison 1L

Kinetic Energy

Postby Karen Harrison 1L » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:40 pm

Hello,
My high school chemistry is kind of rusty... what exactly does it mean when an electron has kinetic energy? How does this relate to the overall equation Ek(kinetic energy)=1/2(v^2m)?

Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Kinetic Energy

Postby 405566265 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:52 pm

in the photoelectric effect, the electron is ejected from the metal and depending on how much energy was supplied from the photon that ejected it, the electron gains kinetic energy as the photon's extra energy (after the threshold energy is used) moves the electron towards the positively charged detector.

Miranda Hess 3I

Postby Miranda Hess 3I » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:08 am

It's also helpful to remember that kinetic energy is the energy of motion, so when an electron has kinetic energy, it has to be moving with a non-zero velocity.

Chance Lee 1G

Re: Kinetic Energy  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chance Lee 1G » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:19 am

An electron has kinetic energy because electrons are emitted from a metal based on the photoelectric effect. Once there's enough energy found in the incoming light source, the threshold energy is fulfilled and electrons become excited and are emitted from the metal. Electrons are emitted from the metal and contain movement(velocity), which fulfills the conditions of being kinetic energy.

Michelle Gong

Postby Michelle Gong » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:39 pm

Right now, Lavelle uses kinetic energy in reference to the photoelectric effect, where an electron is ejected from a metal depending on the energy of the photon that ejected it. An electron has kinetic energy when it moves about a space. In the photoelectron effect, the electron gains kinetic energy as the photon's extra energy after the threshold is used towards the positively charged detector.

Emily Widjaja 3A

Postby Emily Widjaja 3A » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi,

I think it just means that when the electron is removed from the metal surface, it does not just sit there but it moves (it has a velocity) and the equation of kinetic energy involves velocity, if the electron has a velocity, it has kinetic energy

Return to “Photoelectric Effect”