"Concepts in titrations, buffers, etc."

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nicole Mazaheri 1F

"Concepts in titrations, buffers, etc."

Postby Nicole Mazaheri 1F » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:04 pm

On the class website, there is a PDF document labeled "Concepts in titrations, buffers, etc." Will we need to know this information about titrations and buffers on the midterm, as all of the information in this document is not in Outline 2?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: "Concepts in titrations, buffers, etc."

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:38 am

We have definitely covered calculating the pH of a salt in solution.
At the stoichiometric point in a titration, one has a salt in solution because moles acid equals moles base.
The calculation is the same as the one I did in class for a salt in solution.

I discussed in class equal moles of acid and base gives a salt (and usually water).
The stoichiometric point in a titration (equal moles of acid and base) is an application/example of this.

The syllabus also covers calculating the pH of a weak acid (or base) and its salt in water.
This is how buffers are made.

I created the detailed file “Concepts in titrations, buffers, etc.” for students to see the conceptual links between what we cover in Chem 14B and applications (titrations, buffers, etc.).
Working through the examples in this file assists students in Chem 14B, and also in Chem 14BL, Chem 153A, etc., (as stated in the file).

In Chem 14B students will not be asked how to make a buffer, or all the details of titrations. These topics are covered in detail in Chem 14BL, etc.

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”