CH 8 Which HW Problems to do first?

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 737 times

CH 8 Which HW Problems to do first?

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:29 pm

I cover Thermochemistry (experimental data/observation) before Thermodynamics (theory/equations) because students find it easier to understand the theory and equations if they can be related to experimental observation.

Chapter 8 starts with Thermodynamics and the (approximately) second half of the chapter is Thermochemistry.

Since we started with Thermochemistry read Chapter 8 starting with 8.11 to the end of the chapter. As the syllabus states omit 8.18 and 8.20.
For the homework problems start with the sections titled: Hess's Law; Standard Enthalpies of Formation; and Bond Enthalpies as we have covered all these Thermochemistry sections.

Then read 8.1 to 8.10 and do the remaining assigned homework problems.

Leo_Navejas_3B

Re: CH 8 Which HW Problems to do first?

Postby Leo_Navejas_3B » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Will there be a list of recommended readings for each chapter? Like a certain chapter or section of the textbook to read before each lecture?

Daniel Rivas 1F

Postby Daniel Rivas 1F » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:16 am

Leo_Navejas_3B wrote:Will there be a list of recommended readings for each chapter? Like a certain chapter or section of the textbook to read before each lecture?

Without knowing we would begin the course with thermochemistry, I spent the week before instruction began studying Ch.8, beginning with thermodynamics. Although it is more challenging than the material we have covered in class so far, I found it to be very relevant and even helpful. You can start from the beginning of the chapter or towards the middle (as we have done in lecture) and still have benefitted from the information presented during lecture, since the latter and former half of the chapter compliment each other. Hope this is helpful!

regina_ho_3A

Postby regina_ho_3A » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:14 pm

Leo_Navejas_3B wrote:Will there be a list of recommended readings for each chapter? Like a certain chapter or section of the textbook to read before each lecture?

I kind of go off the course reader. Depending on where we left off on the previous lecture, I just look at the topics on the next few pages in the course reader and read the section that corresponds with that.

ChristinaRoble3J

Postby ChristinaRoble3J » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:38 pm

Should we read all the topics of every chapter before the lectures? Or is there a certain order we are expected to read the textbook in? Also, are we supposed to do all of the homework problems before the lectures as well?

Mirna_Velasco_1L

Postby Mirna_Velasco_1L » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:28 pm

ChristinaRoble3J wrote:Should we read all the topics of every chapter before the lectures? Or is there a certain order we are expected to read the textbook in? Also, are we supposed to do all of the homework problems before the lectures as well?

We are recommended to read before lecture so we can have an understanding of what Dr. Lavalle will go over in class. The reading goes more in depth. Personally, I find it easier reading the homework problems first before reading so I can have an understanding of what to pay attention to when reading, and what sections are not necessary to read in-depth. This strategy was suggested by my T.A last quarter and in it really helped me. For chapter 8, Dr. Lavelle suggested to start reading from Thermochemistry 8.11 to the end of the chapter (omit 8.18 and 8.20.). Start Hw problems #57-#77 first, then reading 8.1-8.10 and do the remaining problems. You are not expected to do the problems before lecture if he has not covered the material, but we are supposed to have them done when he finishes lecturing the chapter, so that way you don't fall behind. The HW problems will prepare you for quizzes and exams. Last quarter, I did all HW problems, and I ended up scoring good on all quizzes and exams.

ChristinaRoble3J

Postby ChristinaRoble3J » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Chem_Mod wrote:I cover Thermochemistry (experimental data/observation) before Thermodynamics (theory/equations) because students find it easier to understand the theory and equations if they can be related to experimental observation.

Chapter 8 starts with Thermodynamics and the (approximately) second half of the chapter is Thermochemistry.

Since we started with Thermochemistry read Chapter 8 starting with 8.11 to the end of the chapter. As the syllabus states omit 8.18 and 8.20.
For the homework problems start with the sections titled: Hess's Law; Standard Enthalpies of Formation; and Bond Enthalpies as we have covered all these Thermochemistry sections.

Then read 8.1 to 8.10 and do the remaining assigned homework problems.

Thank you!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:25 pm

The readings for each section are in the syllabus.

You also have my detailed topic list for each section and my lecture notes which follow the detailed topic list in the same order.

Students who want to read ahead for each lecture can read ~4 pages of my lectures notes and the same sections from the textbook.

Simone Seliger 1C

Postby Simone Seliger 1C » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:07 pm

In regards to the Ch.8 questions, is there any way to choose which of the questions to complete if time is an issue and completing all of the problems will be near impossible while also keeping up with the course (in order to maximize studying and time efficiency)?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 am

Absolutely! If you are comfortable with a particular type of question then move on to different topic HW problem.

I have assigned all the HW problems that are appropriate for Chem 14B (and Chem 14A) but students do not have to do each and every one.

Students prefer knowing ALL problems that apply to Chem 14B (and 14A). Does not mean they all must be done.

Some students like to keep/save repeat topic questions for quiz and exam review.

Some students want to do all the HW first time around.

Others prefer to move onto new questions if they know how to a particular question.

This is why I assign only those problems that apply to the syllabus and I assign repeat topic questions for the above reasons.

Since HW is not handed in students are encouraged to work together and ask questions about the HW anytime, anywhere (Chemistry Community, Discussion Section, Peer Learning Groups, Office Hours, etc.).

Another reason not to have 1200 weekly homework sets handed in is your TAs spend quality time interacting with and assisting students (and not sitting in a room grading all week ...).

Hope this detailed reply helps.

Omer Lavian 2K

Postby Omer Lavian 2K » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Which homework problems go over the heat capacity/calorimetry material we talked about last lecture?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:50 am

Omer Lavian 2K wrote:Which homework problems go over the heat capacity/calorimetry material we talked about last lecture?

Reading the HW problems is self-evident which are heat capacity/calorimetry material: 8.19; 8.21, 8.23, 8.25, and all the HW problems in the Enthalpy section can be done.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:35 pm

So will the first half of Chapter 8 eventually be discussed or is it just something we should know and learn ourselves?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 am

Nicholas wrote:So will the first half of Chapter 8 eventually be discussed or is it just something we should know and learn ourselves?

I have never done this in any of my courses!

My lectures are full because I cover the entire syllabus which prepares students for the next course, MCAT, DAT, etc.

As you now know I covered all the topics in class this week.

Nicholas

Postby Nicholas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 pm

Should we be expected to know how to derive any equations that the book covered that weren't done in class?

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”