Saying Thank You to Dr. Lavelle

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Saying Thank You to Dr. Lavelle

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:55 pm

You are welcome!

Bella Martin

Postby Bella Martin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Hi! This is kind of embarrassing but this is my second time taking chem 14a. I came to UCLA not knowing what I wanted to do, and I learned quickly that science was not my passion. Although I'm now happily a north campus major, I wanted to improve my GPA and retaking chem was what I needed to do, so here I am :) I was nervous and embarrassed and really thought I would fail miserably again but I have really appreciated the time I have had in chem this summer, especially you enthusiasm for our success. So thank you very much for this second chance :)

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi Bella,

Thank you for sharing.

I do put much effort into encouragement and organize extensive additional support for students in my classes.

More importantly, excellent to hear you did not give up!
:-)

A lesson I hope will stay with you for life.

rachel liu 3k

Postby rachel liu 3k » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
I know the class has barely started but I just want to take a moment to appreciate the little dance you do to your presentation music before class begins. It is wholesome and precious and makes my day. Thank you.

Keerthana Sivathasan 2E

Postby Keerthana Sivathasan 2E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Dear Professor,
I truly appreciate the way that you are always so positive and smile a lot during class, which makes chem go by so fast, especially because sometimes these concepts may be difficult to understand and grasp. I also find it so nice that you give out so many opportunities to get help, like the peer review sessions, office hours, etc, so there is no excuse for not getting help if we need it, as so many hours are being allotted purely furor benefit.

Jingyao Chen 4H

Postby Jingyao Chen 4H » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for making the concepts super easy to understand. You are a wonderful teacher. With your lectures, I was able to grasp new concepts in a very short amount of time. Thank you!

Areli C 1L

Postby Areli C 1L » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:23 am

Speaking as someone who has taken 14A before and didn't do so well, Dr. Lavelle you really make these concepts so interesting and easy to understand. Your passion seeps through every lecture making your students feel as passionate to learn as you are to teach! Truly a one-of-a-kind professor :)

cassidysong 1K

Postby cassidysong 1K » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for all of your instruction. Your passion for not only the subject of chemistry but the well-being of your students is palpable. Thank you for applying chemistry principles to a lab setting in order for us to understand the importance of every chemistry concept we learn.

Naomi 3G

Postby Naomi 3G » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:36 pm

I wanted to say thank you to Dr. Lavelle for creating such helpful video modules for each topic in this course. Lots of times in class it's hard for me to comprehend everything that is being taught because I don't have enough time to process each point. However, the videos allow me to go through the material at my own pace with really clear explanations of all of the concepts. I would not be able to make it throughout this course, or understand chemistry without them!
Thank You!

Jaklin Astvatsatryan

Postby Jaklin Astvatsatryan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:53 pm

Naomi 3G wrote:I wanted to say thank you to Dr. Lavelle for creating such helpful video modules for each topic in this course. Lots of times in class it's hard for me to comprehend everything that is being taught because I don't have enough time to process each point. However, the videos allow me to go through the material at my own pace with really clear explanations of all of the concepts. I would not be able to make it throughout this course, or understand chemistry without them!
Thank You!

I can completely relate to this. I took chemistry my junior year and was rusty on the material I learned. But with the modules provided, I was able to refresh my memory and learn new concepts at my own pace. Thank you Dr. Lavelle for taking the time to give us the resources to succeed.

PriscillaLi_3G

Postby PriscillaLi_3G » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for putting in so much effort in providing us resources to learn chemistry! Also, I appreciate the memes:)

Priscilla

Eva Zhao 4I

Postby Eva Zhao 4I » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:50 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for an incredible winter quarter! I really appreciate all of the resources you provide on your website and the many, many hours of review and study sessions you offer. You definitely help to build a stable foundation for future courses in chemistry. With that, I look forward to having you as my professor again in Chem 14B!

Best,
Eva

nicole-2B

Postby nicole-2B » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for being such an amazing professor and can not wait to be in chem 14B with you next quarter!

Postby 105289321 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Dr Lavelle,

I would like to thank you for your dedication to your students and subject. I really enjoy your teaching style and love the enthusiasm you bring to lectures. Thanks!!

Jingyao Chen 4H

Postby Jingyao Chen 4H » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:56 pm

I just finished the last class of chem 14A Fall 2019 and just wanted to say thank you Dr. Lavelle for the past quarter!

Hawa Kamara 1F

Postby Hawa Kamara 1F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you, Dr. Lavelle, for a fun time in Chemistry.

Hawa Kamara 1F

Postby Hawa Kamara 1F » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:29 am

Also, thank you for providing so many hours of help throughout the week for chemistry. It was very helpful and I feel like not many teachers really set aside time for that.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Thank you for the positive feedback which encourages me to keep assisting students.
It was a great quarter!

Annie Ye

Postby Annie Ye » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for putting in so much effort in helping all of us succeed. I learned a lot in your class and I actually find chemistry interesting now. My experience was chemistry in high school was not the best but this class has definitely changed my mind. Thank you for all the review sessions you put together and all the other resources that were available to us.

Betania Hernandez 2E

Postby Betania Hernandez 2E » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for providing us with many resources to assist us in our learning!

Rida Ismail 2E

Postby Rida Ismail 2E » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you so much for teaching me all that you have this year. I have learned so much and have gotten a much better understanding of Chemistry through this course than I have with any high school course I have taken. You are so clear and through with your lectures and exams. I absolutely love chemistry and no have such a greater appreciation for this course. I cannot wait to take 14B next quarter and be taught by you again.

Karyn How 1J

Postby Karyn How 1J » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for teaching 14A this quarter. I really learned a lot through your lectures and modules. Not a lot of professors have as many resources for their students as you do and it was extremely helpful it contributing to my learning experience. All the workshops and review sessions helped me improve in my comprehension of chemistry.

Thank you for a great quarter and I hope to have you for 14B in the future!

AGaeta_2C

Postby AGaeta_2C » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:25 pm

I appreciate all the resources that are provided to help us succeed in this series! Especially chemistry community because of its accessibility. Thank you, Professor Lavelle!

Deepika Reddy 1A

Postby Deepika Reddy 1A » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:50 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
I hated chemistry before your class but you made the topics fun to learn and easy to understand. There were so many resources if we needed help too, which is something a lot of other classes don't have. This was my first quarter at UCLA and I'm so glad I took this class. I'm so excited for next quarter with you in 14b!
Thank you!

Postby 605136321 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:11 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for such a great quarter! Your lectutres are always both very informative but also hilarious. I have thoroughly enjoyed this class, and having not taken chem since sophmore year of high school, I now feel like I'm finally getting back into it. Can't wait to take 14B with you next quarter. You make chemistry fun!!

Thank you!!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:54 am

Great to read the positive feedback. Much appreciated.

Enjoy your break and I'll see you in Chem 14B.

Postby 905373636 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

The quarter just started, but you've already introduced us to so many resources and have made access to help readily available. With all my other classes, this constant makes me so much less stressed.

Thank you so much!

Postby 605110118 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:06 am

Hello sir,
Thank you for all you do. I love the jokes at the end of class :)

Megan Kirschner

Postby Megan Kirschner » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 pm

I know it's early on in the quarter, but I can already tell that Dr. Lavelle is going to make a significant impact on my time at UCLA, specifically this quarter. He just makes the material so digestible and I truly appreciate his approach. He also seems to WANT us to succeed. Thank you already!

Leonardo Le Merle 1D

Postby Leonardo Le Merle 1D » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:28 pm

I agree, thank you so much!

Ryan_K_1K

Postby Ryan_K_1K » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:11 pm

I don't have a strong foundation in chemistry, but the extensive list of resources Dr. Lavelle has made available to us is saving my grade! Thank you for accommodating students from all chem backgrounds!

Matthew ILG 1L

Postby Matthew ILG 1L » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for always doing your best to make chemistry fun, from the comics on slides to the music before or after lecture, to the little notes spaced throughout the midterm and final that always bring a smile to my face. Thank you.

nicole-2B

Postby nicole-2B » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Thank you Dr.Lavelle for yet another amazing quarter!!

ShastaB4C

Postby ShastaB4C » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:05 am

This is an old forum, but I just wanted to say a genuine thank you to Lavelle for your good spirit, willingness to help, and accommodation to you students in this transition period. It is truly appreciated.

Jasmine 2C

Postby Jasmine 2C » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 am

To Dr Lavelle,
Due to the unexpected circumstances, it seems that we cannot properly say goodbye to you tomorrow. But I really want to take this time to say a big THANK YOU for the past two quarters. Chemistry has always been a subject that I've dreaded (due to bad prior experiences)-- and honestly, it is still difficult most of the time-- but the extra mileage you have taken to provide us with so so so many hours of additional help absolutely blew my mind. I have never had a professor who cared so much about providing additional guidance for his/her students. You definitely take first place in that category. Thank you for everything that you have done. I'm sorry that I can't say thank you in person, but do know that we appreciate you.
I wish you the best with your next classes.
And thank you once again.

Joseph Saba

Postby Joseph Saba » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:48 am

Even with the current situation, Lavelle has been a really great professor for both my 14a and 14b careers. I truly thank him for making my chemistry “good chemistry” :)

BritneyP- 2c

Postby BritneyP- 2c » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 am

Thank you so much Dr. Lavelle!
These last 2 quarters have been amazing and I am so thankful to have you as my professor.

Lindsey Chheng 1E

Postby Lindsey Chheng 1E » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:08 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle, thank you for making chemistry fun with all your jokes, memes, dance moves, cool songs, and poetry! No matter how frustrating chem got, I could never be too frustrated because of how fun of a professor you were. I've learned so much from you, and I will never forget the experiences I've gained from your course. I'm sad that I won't be able to see the goodbye slide that you probably prepared for us, but I bet it is awesome anyway. Please stay safe and take care of yourself and your family during this break!

Best wishes,
Lindsey Chheng

alex_4l
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby alex_4l » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:52 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
I absolutely love whoever came up with this idea and all those who participated in it. I had you for 14A and although your class was a struggle for me (getting used to the quarter system and the academically challenging material of the classes here) I'm very grateful I was able to have you as an instructor during my first year at UCLA. I admire your passion for the subject immensely and greatly appreciate all the resources you have available to students in order to help as best as you can for us to succeed. I wish you the best in the future and that your other classes go a little smoother with no interruptions like this quarter has. Also thank you for your decision of what to do with the final exam, it really took a lot of pressure off during this hectic and confusing time.
Sincerely,
Alex

JasonLiu_2J

Postby JasonLiu_2J » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:47 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you so much for everything you have done for us over the past two quarters. When I first came to UCLA last fall, I did not know what to expect from your classes and was very nervous when I stepped into your class. But I can say without a doubt that having you as my Chem 14A and 14B professor was one of the best decisions I have made since coming here. You always have a smile on your face and make chemistry engaging and fun. Also, I can see how much you value your students' educations based on all the hours of review sessions and resources you have organized to ensure student success. I know these must have taken a great deal of time to organize and its incredibly unfortunate that our present circumstances will not allow us to take make use of all the hard work you have put in to help us. I am also very disappointed that I could not have said thank you to you in person after our last lecture because I truly am grateful to have taken your class for the past two quarters. Nevertheless, I hope you have a great, and safe, spring break and hope that you will continue to inspire new students next year as you have inspired me. Thank you so much for making chemistry a blast Dr. Lavelle.
Best Wishes,
Jason Liu

Michelle Song 1I

Postby Michelle Song 1I » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:43 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for all the effort you've put into this class and in helping your students succeed. It was really helpful to have access to Chemistry Community and all the review sessions and I really appreciate the amount of work it takes to organize all of that and how dedicated you are to answering students' questions. I also appreciate how in lecture you'll often wait for students to finish writing before moving on to the next slide. To me, that speaks to a great level of attentiveness and understanding in your teaching. I enjoyed your class and all the fun surprises you prepared for us. I had you for Chem 14A as well as Chem 14B, and I am grateful for your great introduction to college chemistry. I'm sorry we couldn't take a class photo today, but I appreciate how you are doing your best in handling these unexpected circumstances.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Sarah Blake-2I

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for everything. You have been a great professor and I will miss your class so much. Thank you for putting in so much effort into giving your students plenty of resources to succeed in this class. I especially appreciate all of the step up sessions and UA midterm and final review sessions as they have helped me tremendously. I hope you have a great spring break :)

- Sarah Blake

Nathan Nakaguchi 1G

Postby Nathan Nakaguchi 1G » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Prior to attending UCLA I had very little chemistry experience and was afraid of what I had signed up for. I am very grateful I have had the opportunity to learn from you for the past 2 quarters and be well introduced to one of my now favorite branches of science. I really appreciate the effort and countless hours you have put in towards the resources available for students who needed it. While these past two classes were not easy for me, whenever I was asked what my favorite class of the current quarter was I would always say Chemistry because I genuinely felt that I am learning a new perspective of the world. These classes were hard, but they were taught well enough to keep me engaged to rise to the challenge and push my understanding further. Thank you Dr. Lavelle for being a integral part of my college education and well as being one for hundreds of others.

Best,
Nathan Nakaguchi

Maika Ngoie 1B

Postby Maika Ngoie 1B » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:23 pm

WOW! I love this!

Thank you so much Dr. Lavelle for being a professor that is not only passionate about what he is teaching, but is so clearly passionate about his students and teaching in general. Chemistry may be a hard science, but you have given me a strong foundation to learn on for the past two quarters and it has always been a pleasure attending your lectures. It may not have been easy, but beyond chemistry, you have taught me critical learning and knowledge application skills. I'm so appreciative that I was able to take your classes and on behalf of myself and hundreds of others, THANK YOU FOR HELPING US MAKE GOOD CHEMISTRY HAPPEN.

-Maika

vibha gurunathan 1h

Postby vibha gurunathan 1h » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:21 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for all the work you put into teaching us this quarter! I really appreciate all the effort you put into lectures and organizing our review sessions, and I learned so much.

Jared Khoo 1G

Postby Jared Khoo 1G » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for being a great chemistry professor and an even better person. All the resources you put into this class have really helped all of us students and helping us through this stressful time will never be underappreciated!

Annie Chantasirivisal_4G

Postby Annie Chantasirivisal_4G » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:07 pm

Dearest Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for a wonderful 2 quarters of chemistry! I have never met any professor who was this passionate about student success and having access to resources outside of class. Going into the 14 series I wasn't too excited because since I never took AP chem, I felt that I would be greatly lacking in a chemistry background in comparison to my peers; however, you never expected anything from us beyond what you've taught in lecture, and you even covered the most basic of topics to ensure we are all on the same page, and for that, I am eternally grateful. Although I am still not the greatest at chem, you've proved to me that with enough effort, anyone can succeed as long as they try. Chemistry may still be difficult for me, but it's no longer a dreaded/scary topic. It's been such a pleasure having you as my professor, and I alongside many other students will miss you immensely once we've finished 14B. Thank you so much, Dr. Lavelle! Cheers to many more years of wonderful chemistry!

Best,
Annie Chantasirivisal :D

Tiffany Chao 2H

Postby Tiffany Chao 2H » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle! I can't say that this class was easy or didn't make me stay up until ungodly hours of the night studying, but it's been a satisfying and enriching experience. I learned more than I ever thought I could within 2 quarters. Your jokes, music outros, smiley faces, and thoughtful poetry time have been the highlight of my days.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 pm

Thank you for all the lovely messages.

Nicholas Chin 1G

Postby Nicholas Chin 1G » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:03 pm

THANK YOU DR. LAVELLE!!!

Dr. Lavelle is genuinely one of the most entertaining and funny professors I've had in a while. I really like how pleased he looks whenever he turns into DJ Lavelle and bops to the music.

Ryan_K_1K

Postby Ryan_K_1K » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:29 pm

I know with the whole Coronavirus situation things must be incredibly stressful for Lavelle and all UCLA professors, so I just wanted to say thank you to Lavelle for working diligently to ensure finals are administrated in as fair a manner as possible and for keeping us students updated

Alfred Barrion 2H

Postby Alfred Barrion 2H » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:50 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for exposing me to the world of chemistry in my short first year at UCLA. I am so grateful for the way you taught chemistry and worked so hard to coordinate office hours, step-up sessions, and workshops. To all of the TAs and UAs reading this. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for making Chem 14A and 14B such a great experience. I would not trade it for the world.

Alfred Barrion

Patricia Cardenas

Postby Patricia Cardenas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:48 pm

I would also like to say thank you Dr. Lavelle for working so hard to figure out our online final and for continuing to support your students through this confusing and tough time. We appreciate all your hard work and thank you for everything you've provided us with throughout this quarter.

Matthew ILG 1L

Postby Matthew ILG 1L » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:42 pm

I'm really going to miss Dr. Lavelle. I'm really bummed that we won't be able to say goodbye and thank you to him in class.
I just want to say thank you to Dr. Lavelle for the last two quarters of chemistry and my first experiences in a college classroom. I had a truly great experience with him as a professor and will definitely miss him.
Good luck to everyone on the final, and thank you again to Dr. Lavelle.
Also huge thank you to him and all the TAs and UAs for all their hard work throughout the year and especially now in this hectic time and having to reformat the entire test. They are doing so much for us to try and make this final go as smoothly as possible and it is greatly appreciated.

Amy Xiao 1I

Postby Amy Xiao 1I » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:27 pm

Dr. Lavelle, thank you for taking care of us throughout the whole quarter. I admire how quickly you acted to make sure we would be assessed as fairly as possible during these chaotic times, and I really appreciate how selfless you are when you take so much time out of your own day to organize study sessions every week for students. Having you as a professor my first two quarters has greatly improved my college experience.

chimerila

Postby chimerila » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:50 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
It's very apparent that you are passionate about the subject you teach and truly care about your students success. These are both very admirable traits in an educator, and I'm glad I had the privilege to take your class. Thank you for continuing to work with us undergrads as changes occur to all of our daily lives. Best of luck, and have a happy spring quarter!

JesseAuLec1Dis1G

Postby JesseAuLec1Dis1G » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

All of your extra resources and extra hours helped me so much!

Stay safe, and thank you for the quarter :)

Venus_Hagan 2L

Postby Venus_Hagan 2L » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you for all that you have done for us these past two semesters. I am glad to have had for 14A and 14B. All of the resources and extra effort you put in really made a difference. I appreciate all that you have done for us as a class. Hope you have a great spring quarter :).

Jiyoon_Hwang_2I

Postby Jiyoon_Hwang_2I » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:31 pm

Thank you so much Dr. Lavelle!!

I am so so soooo glad I was able to take both Chem 14A and Chem 14B with you! I really appreciated your quick email updates and the effort you put in to allow your students to succeed in the course. I'm sure this situation with finals becoming online was stressful for you, but now that we are at the end I hope you will be able to catch up on the sleep you haven't been receiving!!

Philip

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH DR. LAVELLE!!!!!!

Hussain Chharawalla 1G

Postby Hussain Chharawalla 1G » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

I came into your chemistry classes with little chemistry knowledge and definitely no appreciation for the subject! But after these two quarters and your step by step explanations, I have learned more with ease than I never thought I would. It took extra hard work and time to succeed in your class, but I appreciated that very much. It has taught me a lot about not only chemistry, but how to effectively learn and stay committed.

You have impacted thousands of students through your teachings and classes. Many of us will go on to be future healthcare professionals and you were one of the major influences for all of us in our early years! I have always appreciated your smile and enthusiasm you bring to every class despite any personal difficulty. You are a wonderful professor and I'm glad for the many lessons you have given me. You always know how to bring a smile to our faces with your fire chemistry jokes and thrifty tunes and dances.

Thank you,
Hussain

Emily Burghart 1k

Postby Emily Burghart 1k » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Although I know that my comment will be lost alongside many, I would like to say thank you.

I switched majors over the summer from political science to a stem major and my first quarter was extremely rough; I didn't know how I was going to survive 14 B. Although I still struggled (and did considerably bad on the midterm), I feel much more confident after taking this class. I believe it was because of how much time you put into making sure we had access to good resources and friendly faces we could ask honest questions to.

It's nice to know that there are professors out there who, despite not getting to know, care about our understanding of the subject rather than just learning material for the tests.

With everything going on, I am especially grateful for everything you have done in the last few days to make finals better for all of us students.

You are exceptional.

Thank you.

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Thank you. It takes huge focus and thought.

KarineKim2L

Postby KarineKim2L » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:57 pm

Thank you for a great 2 quarters Dr. Lavelle! I really enjoyed your humor and passion for chemistry! Your office hours were always extremely helpful, and I feel that I have learned so much in these past several months. I hope you get more sleep after we take the final tomorrow!

AGaeta_2C

Postby AGaeta_2C » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:47 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you for your dedication to supporting your students and providing so many resources, even after this interesting situation came down at the university.

Ivan Tadeja 1G

Postby Ivan Tadeja 1G » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:51 am

Dr Lavelle,

Chem is by far my weakest subject, and I put off taking this course until I could take it with you. Thank you for all the available resources you provided for us in order to succeed in this course. Without it, I would not have been able to pass. Best wishes to all of your future courses!

Ivan Tadeja

Anushka Chauhan2B

Postby Anushka Chauhan2B » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:18 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for being such an enthusiastic professor and caring for your students. It truly makes a difference!

Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L

Postby Lara Kristine Bacasen 1L » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Hello Dr. Lavelle,

I want to thank you for all the work that you have put in for your classes, especially this quarter. This quarter's ending caught us all by surprise but you handled wonderfully. I hope you get a good night's rest now that finals are over and take care of yourself at this time.

I wish all the best,
Lara Kristine Bacasen

Postby 805383532 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:57 pm

He was dope! A very funny dude and he made class fun :^)

Daniel Yu 1E

Postby Daniel Yu 1E » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for the two quarters of Chem 14A and 14B. You've been a very caring professor and provided many resources for your students. You put in lots of time and energy and we appreciate that!

Yailin Romo 4G

Postby Yailin Romo 4G » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 pm

Dr. Lavell,

I'd really like to thank you for everything you have done for us in chemistry! We see how much you care about us and want to see us succeed everyday! Personally my favorite parts of the course are when you'd show the fun videos or play music before the weekend your jokes are actually funny! thank you again for everything I really enjoyed this course!

Jasmine Kim 1L

Postby Jasmine Kim 1L » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 am

Thank you for all of the hard work that you do for us students, especially after all the recent cancellations. You've been a great professor these last two quarters and it's very apparent that you want us to succeed, from organizing the peer learning sessions to creating and moderating Chemistry Community. You go above and beyond the normal lectures that most professors do for their students. I hope you have a great break and stay healthy after getting so little sleep the days before the exam!

BAlvarado_1L

Postby BAlvarado_1L » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:45 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you so much for your positive energy this year. Your lecture is very clear and productive however, it is your evident love for teaching that makes it so amazing. Thank you for all of your resources and the quick and smooth transition to an online final, I cannot imagine how stressful that must have been!

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:46 pm

Thank you and enjoy spring break.

Tahlia Mullins

Postby Tahlia Mullins » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:20 am

Dear Dr. Lavelle,
Thank you for all of your amazing efforts the past two quarters! The amount of time you put into creating recourses for your students is greatly appreciated, especially considering the change that has recently taken place. Your immense consideration for your students’ success and your passion for teaching “good chemistry” is what really made your class memorable for me. You represent the “chemistry community” and UCLA perfectly!! Thank you!

Jeremy_Guiman2E

Postby Jeremy_Guiman2E » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:33 am

Thank you for a wonderful quarter Dr. Lavelle! Your plentiful resources have been very helpful in me improving my work in this class, and I feel prepared for the rigor of future Chemistry courses. All the best!

David He

Postby David He » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:48 am

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for always doing your best to make chemistry fun. I'm glad I had the privilege to take your class. We appreciate all your hard work and thank you for everything you've provided us with throughout this quarter.

Postby 505598869 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle! All of the resources you have created are very encouraging and helpful. I appreciate everything you have done. It is great to know that there are always ways for me to find the help that I need in your class.

Megan ODonnell 3F

Postby Megan ODonnell 3F » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for all of the work you have put into providing resources for this course, despite the difficulty during COVID-19 right now. I was initially anxious about taking this course since the lectures have so many people and the sheer size of the course made learning seem so distant, coming from a small high school where we only had max. 20 people in each class. I feel as though this course is manageable because of all of the resources you have provided from the discussion sections, to the multiple online resources that we can use to learn different topics. Thank you so much for all of the effort to make this class as seamless as possible!

~ Megan O'Donnell

Postby 305614361 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:39 pm

Thank You Dr. Lavelle

Maryeli Garay 2H

Postby Maryeli Garay 2H » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:41 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle!
This is the first chemistry class I have taken at UCLA, and your help has made me feel more comfortable in the course. I appreciate all the resources you have worked so hard to make available to us, a lot of professors wouldn't do the same. I can tell you really want your students to succeed above all. Thank you so much, looking forward to the rest of the quarter :)

Andy Hernandez

Postby Andy Hernandez » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 pm

Early appreciation post saying thanks for chem community bc this forum is saving me

alebenavides

Postby alebenavides » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:28 am

Dear Dr.Lavelle,
thank you so much for being so understanding this quarter. I enjoyed being in your class even if it was just virtual. I always looked forward to watching your recordings and hearing what music you would play that day.

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 pm

Thank you to Dr. Lavelle for the enthusiasm, including the pre-lecture music and the post-lecture jokes lately. They are absolutely precious and make watching recorded lectures still a bit engaging or fun. Definitely yhe best part of catching up on online school work

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:18 pm

Dr. Lavelle,
I know you have an insane amount of students and to make it even harder, you are in an online environment. I can't imagine how many emails and daily notifications you have to respond to. Yet, you always have a smile on your face. Just wanted to say thank you! Appreciate you Dr. Lavelle!!

MichaelMendozaD1F

Postby MichaelMendozaD1F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:34 pm

thank you for being so positive even when we are low on energy for faith in ourselves

Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I

Postby Jacob Schwarz-Discussion 3I » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:48 am

Thank you Dr. Lavelle. You have seriously inspired me with your passion for chemistry, even despite the online environment. I appreciate you so much!!!
-Jacob Schwarz

Michelle Nguyen 3F

Postby Michelle Nguyen 3F » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Mr. Lavelle,

Thank you for always being transparent with deadlines! The lectures are easy to understand, and has helped me with clarification when reading the textbook. Thank you for updating the website whenever needed, and I am having a great time in your class :') Can't wait to have 14B!

Sincerely,
Michelle Nguyen

Postby 805421690 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:11 pm

Thank you so much for making chemistry something to look forward to, the overall flow of the class could not get any better! I wish we could have came to class instead of doing everything online.

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you Lavelle! I feel as though you have been very understanding and generous this quarter and it is greatly appreciated! :)))

Sandra Kim 2B

Postby Sandra Kim 2B » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Hello Dr. Lavelle!
I just wanted to let you know that the "water on Mars" joke at the end of one of your lectures made me genuinely smile during a long depressive episode. I think it was the first time I really smiled for a while when that happened and I truly always appreciate the positivity from your lectures and interactions with us :) Thank you!

Bethany Yang 2E

Postby Bethany Yang 2E » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 pm

Hi Dr. Lavelle!

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the extra effort to make some of us freshmen feel like we are in the big lecture hall learning chemistry. I know it takes a lot of energy to also get tested and make sure it is a safe environment, so just wanted you to know we appreciate it!

Lorena_Morales_1K

Postby Lorena_Morales_1K » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:23 pm

Dear Dr. Lavelle,

Thank you so much for always making the smile in the beginning of lecture,AND at the end of lecture. The simplicity of this is very dear to my heart. A smile goes a very long way, especially during these frightening times, so thank you so much.

Warm Regards,
Lorena Morales Sandoval

Micaela Estavillo

Postby Micaela Estavillo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for everything you have taught us, especially during these times. I'm grateful for all the helpful sources you provided us and the tutoring sessions you offered. I hope you have a great winter break and happy holidays!!

ShinwooKim_3E

Postby ShinwooKim_3E » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:02 pm

Dr. Lavelle-
I would like to say a heartfelt thank you for your passion in teaching us chemistry! Despite the classes being online and off-campus, you helped us learn in a supportive learning environment with great help and support. We students would like you to know that we appreciate you immensely :)

Jonathan Malau 1F

Postby Jonathan Malau 1F » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle!

Mingzi Yang 1E

Postby Mingzi Yang 1E » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:12 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle for this great quarter despite that it is online. Everything is helpful and super organized!

Renny_kim_2G

Postby Renny_kim_2G » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:39 pm

Thank you Dr. Lavelle. I really enjoyed this class!

Jason_Glass_2L

Postby Jason_Glass_2L » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:44 pm

Thank you for the wonderful learning experience you provided for 14A. Even with COVID, this class was amazing to take!

Melanie Lin 3E

Postby Melanie Lin 3E » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:02 pm

Thank you for everything Dr. Lavelle! Your lectures and teaching methods have really opened my eyes up to the world of chemistry more so than AP Chemistry ever did for me! Chem 14A has been amazing with you and I'll see you in 14B!! <3

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”