Test 1

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

camrynpatterson3C

Test 1

Postby camrynpatterson3C » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi,
Lavelle said that problems relating to work and internal energy won't be on Test 1. I was wondering what this meant in terms of what homework problems are relevant. Is it everything from 8.29 on that is still for this test, and just not 8.1-8.27?

camrynpatterson3C

Re: Test 1

Postby camrynpatterson3C » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Also, I realized there are problems on the homework such as 8.47 and 8.53 that deal with delta U, although the question as a whole is about reaction enthalpies. Are we not expected to do problems like that on this test either?

Jason Muljadi 2C

Postby Jason Muljadi 2C » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:38 pm

On the class site, Dr. Lavelle said that "Concept questions involving work and internal energy will be on Test 1, but not calculating w and delta U"

Conceptionally, we are supposed to understand work and internal energy. But we will not have to solve for questions that uses delta U = q + w. I would expect, for calculative purposes, the formula to focus on would be dH (or q) = nCpdT and its "mCAT" variant formula.

Also another formula to note is dH = dU - PdV, because you could also be given U and other values.

I would focus on the thermochemistry homework problems to study. In addition, definitely know the three ways to find enthalpy, which is using Hess's Law, Bond Enthalpies, or Standard Enthalpy.

Sabrina Fardeheb 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sabrina Fardeheb 2B » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Maybe if we are given the values of delta H and delta U, then we would be expected to solve for the rest of the problem, but not for those values particularly. In addition, I'm pretty sure we won't have to worry about which equations to use since they will be provided to us on his worksheet

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”