How much do I need to know for this class from course reader

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JasmineChavez 1E

How much do I need to know for this class from course reader

Postby JasmineChavez 1E » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:16 am

So I keep reviewing The material in the beginning of the course reader and I never had the opportunity to learn Chemistry in high school so I am taking in a lot at once and some things are pretty broad, others are more detailed and I am just wondering how much of it I need to have memorized in order to succeed and be able to understand all the new things that will be presented to us throughout the course.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: How much do I need to know for this class from course re

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:02 pm

A lot of the material from the beginning of the course reader is material that will appear in later topics covered in class. For example, significant figures are relevant to any calculation you do and molarity will be relevant when we discuss acids and bases. Take the time to get familiar with it now so you can focus on new material later in the quarter.

Ilana Golub 1A

Re: How much do I need to know for this class from course re

Postby Ilana Golub 1A » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:52 pm

The course reader so far seems to be extremely helpful. Essentially, it is an outline for the notes Professor Lavelle gives in class--it's the key concepts from his lecture, that is. Of course, that shouldn't be all you depend on for notes...but it's a definite start.
Taking a look at the lectures online is also really helpful: just google bruincast and then look up Chem14A. I was surprised by how much more information I understood the second time around!

Hope this helps:)
-Ilana

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”