about the Midterm...

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Janet Nguy 2C

about the Midterm...

Postby Janet Nguy 2C » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:33 pm

I feel a little lost. I felt like I had a decent understanding of the concepts for the midterm, and I could provide an answer to every statement on the learning outcome outlines. I went to Step-Ups weekly, I did the homework, I went to multiple review sessions, and I made sure I could do every Pizza Roll problem that was given.

It still didn't feel like enough; I felt horrible about the midterm and I don't feel confident at all about my score. It just seemed like there was a huge chunk that I was not getting and all of the questions were aimed to trick me.

What am I missing? How can I do better?

peteryim

Re: about the Midterm...

Postby peteryim » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi Janet,
I'm sorry you felt that way about the midterm. Honestly, sometimes tests are more about test taking than knowing the material. I know you probably did a lot of practice tests, but the only advice I can give is to do practice test. Finding previous midterms can be difficult, but is possible if you try hard enough! Also, getting sleep, doing the homework problems, and not panicking during the exam give you the best chance to be able to figure our problems that are initially intimidating.

Hope this helps!

Lindsey Chheng 1E

Postby Lindsey Chheng 1E » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:43 pm

Janet Nguy 2C wrote:I feel a little lost. I felt like I had a decent understanding of the concepts for the midterm, and I could provide an answer to every statement on the learning outcome outlines. I went to Step-Ups weekly, I did the homework, I went to multiple review sessions, and I made sure I could do every Pizza Roll problem that was given.

It still didn't feel like enough; I felt horrible about the midterm and I don't feel confident at all about my score. It just seemed like there was a huge chunk that I was not getting and all of the questions were aimed to trick me.

What am I missing? How can I do better?

Hey Janet, I know exactly how you feel. I did a lot of the same things you did to prepare for the midterm, and I agree the questions on the midterm were complicated and tricky. In fact, I feel like there was a question on there that required us to use an equation we never covered... But besides that, I don't think there's anything we did wrong because we really did try our best to prepare for it with the opportunities Lavelle gave us. No matter what your midterm score turns out to be, don't forget that we still have Test 2 and the Final to redeem ourselves! Stay positive and keep working hard, we got this!

Maia_Jackson_2C

Postby Maia_Jackson_2C » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Also you're not alone!! I did not feel good about that midterm either and basically everyone I have talked to about it so far has said the same thing :(
But I agree that practicing is definetly one of the best things you can do to prepare.

Brian J Cheng 1I

Postby Brian J Cheng 1I » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 pm

Same here! It just felt like the material we had focused on studying was not as heavily represented as we thought. There was a more general distribution of concepts as compared to the often-meticulous detail that the homework/practice problems entailed. Guess this just means we must consider studying from a more holistic point of view as opposed to more focused study (or maybe doing both will be best for the final!)

CNourian2H

Postby CNourian2H » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:55 pm

I think my main issue was freaking out when I enter the test. Just remember to breathe and relax before starting each assessment so you can answer each question with a clear mind and right direction. Good luck everyone!

HannahBui 2K

Postby HannahBui 2K » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:04 pm

I totally feel you on this! I think the best pieces of advice I can give are to get as much practice as possible and watch Youtube videos to make sure you understand all of the topics in each of the outlines. Wishing everyone the best of luck on Test 2 and the Final! We can do this :)

Rosa Munoz 2E

Postby Rosa Munoz 2E » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself :/ I went through the same thing last quarter. His 14 A midterm gave me super bad test anxiety- I thought I was going to fail. Buttttt now I don't feel like that :) just reach out for help.

Trent Yamamoto 2J

Postby Trent Yamamoto 2J » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:06 pm

I found the midterm difficult as well, mainly because I focused most of my time on studying the procedures for solving problems rather than understanding the conceptual material (which hurt my score the most). I had a similar experience in 14A, but I learned I have to just pick my head up and have short term memory. Best of luck to you on Test 2 and the Final!

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”