UA Final Review - Kate, Riya, Matthew

General non-science questions and class announcements.

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

UA Final Review - Kate, Riya, Matthew

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:50 am

Hi everyone!

As promised, here is our Final Review worksheet covering Equilibrium through Thermodynamics. We hope that you will find it useful for your studying. Some of these problems are meant to be difficult; do not worry. Approach them as you would any test question: write out what you know, what you don't know, and work step-by-step to try and reach the final answer. Of course, due to the coronavirus situation there will be no in-person review session on Thursday. However, we will be posting complete worked-out solutions. It's been a great quarter with you all and we wish you the best!

- Kate, Riya, Matthew

Worksheet
Final Review - W20.pdf
(63.99 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

Answer Key
Final Review - W20_Answer Key.pdf
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 192 times

Errors
Q9. ; was repeated

Rebecca Remple 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: UA Final Review - Kate, Riya, Matthew

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:47 am

Hi Kate, Riya, and Matthew,

Thank you all for your hard work this quarter! Your review sessions have been incredibly helpful. I'll definitely miss seeing you all at the final review session, but I'm so grateful for all of your help. Your review worksheet looks great and I look forward to working through it in preparation for the exam. Thank you again for your help and I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors! :)

-Rebecca

Jade Hinds 2B

Postby Jade Hinds 2B » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:42 am

what a wild way to end winter quarter! thank you all for working so diligently in order to support our continued academic success. Stay safe everyone.

Rebecca Remple 1C

Postby Rebecca Remple 1C » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:12 am

Chem_Mod wrote:Hi everyone!

As promised, here is our Final Review worksheet covering Equilibrium through Thermodynamics. We hope that you will find it useful for your studying. Some of these problems are meant to be difficult; do not worry. Approach them as you would any test question: write out what you know, what you don't know, and work step-by-step to try and reach the final answer. Of course, due to the coronavirus situation there will be no in-person review session on Thursday. However, we will be posting complete worked-out solutions. It's been a great quarter with you all and we wish you the best!

- Kate, Riya, Matthew

Worksheet
Final Review - W20.pdf

Answer Key
To be posted

Hi all,

Thank you so much for sharing your worksheet! I am currently working through it in preparation for the final. I was wondering if you plan to upload the solutions to it soon? I want to make sure that I fully understand how to answer each question. Thank you so much and I hope you have a wonderful day!

-Rebecca

Daniela Shatzki 2E

Postby Daniela Shatzki 2E » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 pm

hi, I was just wondering when the solutions were going to be posted? thank you! :)

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:57 pm

Answer Key is posted! Thank you all for your patience; it's been a hectic few days. If you notice any discrepancies or have questions feel free to ask on this thread! Good luck on finals and stay safe.

-Matthew, Kate, Riya

Labiba Sardar 2A

Postby Labiba Sardar 2A » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:09 am

For Q4. a), how do you know that 5.00 x 10^-3 mol H2C2O4 = 1.00 x 10^-2 mol H+?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:05 am

Labiba Sardar 2A wrote:For Q4. a), how do you know that 5.00 x 10^-3 mol H2C2O4 = 1.00 x 10^-2 mol H+?

Since oxalic acid is a diprotic acid, each molecule of oxalic acid has 2 protons that can be neutralized by a strong base. Therefore 5 x 10^-3 mol of oxalic acid has 2*(5 x 10^-3 mol) = 1 x 10^-2 mol of acidic protons that must be completely neutralized by NaOH.

AlyssaYeh_1B

Postby AlyssaYeh_1B » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:34 am

For question 11, the van't hoff equation is written like ln(K2/K1) = -(deltaH/R)((1/T2) - (1/T1)). However, in the constants and equations sheet, the T2 and T1 are swapped, which would result in K2=0.0169 instead of 0.0186. I was wondering which form of the equation is correct and which we should use to solve these problems?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:45 pm

AlyssaYeh_1B wrote:For question 11, the van't hoff equation is written like ln(K2/K1) = -(deltaH/R)((1/T2) - (1/T1)). However, in the constants and equations sheet, the T2 and T1 are swapped, which would result in K2=0.0169 instead of 0.0186. I was wondering which form of the equation is correct and which we should use to solve these problems?

Keep in mind the negative sign. The equation used is in the answer key is correct. When you swap T2 and T1, you distribute the negative sign inside the parentheses and the deltaH/R term is positive ie. no negative sign. You most likely forgot about it. Try deriving the van't Hoff equation to verify that the equation is correct.

You also should be able to tell that your answer is incorrect because your K2 is less than K1; however we know it should increase when the temperature is increased because the reaction is endothermic.

Christineg1G

Postby Christineg1G » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:46 pm

For question 4 part b, how do you get the two equations for k1 and k2?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Christineg1G wrote:For question 4 part b, how do you get the two equations for k1 and k2?

Those are the equations for the first and second dissocation of oxalic acid, respectively. Since oxalic acid is a diprotic acid, it can dissociate 2 protons into solution. The first dissociation is when it gives off its first proton and the second dissociation is when it gives off its second proton. We often write the dissociation of polyprotic acids this way because each successive dissocation has a lower K value.

claudia_1h

Postby claudia_1h » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Regarding question 11: This is not representative of what would actually happen right? Because when temperature increased, K went up from 0.0177 to 0.0186, but isn't K supposed to decrease with increasing temperature?

Chem_Mod

Postby Chem_Mod » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:51 pm

claudia_1h wrote:Regarding question 11: This is not representative of what would actually happen right? Because when temperature increased, K went up from 0.0177 to 0.0186, but isn't K supposed to decrease with increasing temperature?

No, this is what would actually happen. When a reaction is endothermic, increasing the temperature increases K. When a reaction is exothermic, increasing the temperature decreases K. The reaction has a positive change in enthalpy (endothermic), thus increasing the temperature leads to an increase in K. You learned this conceptually when learning about equilibrium and can now make quantitative assessments using thermodynamics (van't Hoff) and kinetics (Arrhenius).

Return to “Administrative Questions and Class Announcements”