Tips

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jenny Chau 1I

Tips

Postby Jenny Chau 1I » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:00 pm

I'm kinda struggling with the current topics we've been doing, especially the mathematical part of it all. Are there any tips on how to approach the problems? From what I've been seeing on sapling, a lot of the problems require setting up a lot of equations and plugging them within each other.

kateraelDis1L

Re: Tips

Postby kateraelDis1L » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 pm

What seems to be helping me is actually writing out my units so I can visually see what needs to cancel out in order to get what I want in the end. Especially when we use the R constant, if you use the wrong one it could mess up your units.

MMorcus2E

Postby MMorcus2E » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:05 pm

I know that this is a slightly different question, but I would also really appreciate any tips that you guys have for studying for the midterms or studying for this class in general.

Jenny Chau 1I

Postby Jenny Chau 1I » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:13 pm

MMorcus2E wrote:I know that this is a slightly different question, but I would also really appreciate any tips that you guys have for studying for the midterms or studying for this class in general.

The number one thing everyone says and I agree on is doing the textbook problems. I also heard going to UA sessions are helpful. I know that they make their own worksheets for extra practice and I think there's a google drive with their worksheets if you can find it. To be honest, I also need some better tips because most of my "studying" has been doing textbook problems and trying to understand them.

Tikva Cohen 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Tikva Cohen 1K » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:44 am

i would definitely agree and say just continuously working through problems (whether that be textbook, sapling, UA stepup sessions and workshops) is the best way to study and help yourself in this class. it ends up being a lot of work and takes time to understand everything but that's what works for me

Wil Chai 3D
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Wil Chai 3D » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:21 am

Going through Lavelle's problem solving steps has actually helped me during exams. It also can calm you down if a question seems overwhelming. First, I make sure I understand what the question is asking. Then figure out which model/equations could be useful and write those down (Hess' Law, Ice Table, etc). Then, separate the information that the question gives and the information that you have to solve for. And finally, can you express that unknown info in an equation with respect to what's known in an equation. Hope this helps!

Ava Nickman

Postby Ava Nickman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:14 am

truly doing as much practice as you can really helps

Katie Nye 2F

Postby Katie Nye 2F » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:23 am

Going to review sessions, discussion, and workshops has been a huge help to me! Also the questions on the syllabus are very helpful, I use those to study!

Katie Lam 2J

Postby Katie Lam 2J » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:08 pm

My TA talked about this and said it's important to figure out your units so you can use the correct R constant and equation in general. Also, trying out and manipulating different equations/models before you attempt the problem is helpful. It is also useful to do as many practice problems as we can!

Allan Nguyen 2G

Postby Allan Nguyen 2G » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:42 pm

MMorcus2E wrote:I know that this is a slightly different question, but I would also really appreciate any tips that you guys have for studying for the midterms or studying for this class in general.

Similar to what others have said, I've found attending UA sessions, textbook and Sapling to work really well. Also, watching Organic Chemistry tutors are also really helpful.

Brenda Silva 1B

Postby Brenda Silva 1B » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:06 am

Try to break down the problems because at times they could be a bit wordy and not everything is needed. You should try to determine what equations are needed to solve the problem and then plug in the information the problem gives you. I think the most important thing is to keep doing the textbook problems to familiarize yourself with what is being asked in the questions.

Isabel Luu 1I

Postby Isabel Luu 1I » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:28 pm

For the thermochem/thermodynamics stuff I would recommend writing down all of the equations we have been using and make sure you understand all of the variables. A lot of the questions are just variations on using the same equations but solving for different variables in the equation. If you write out what variables and units you are given and what you are trying to get this might help because you can look at the equations and think about how you can plug in to get the correct variable and units.

Nathan Chu 3H

Postby Nathan Chu 3H » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:19 pm

For me, attending the UA sessions has been very helpful because they explain and guide you through every step of the problem. Reading the textbook also helped me understand the material conceptually.

Sophia Wendin 3L

Postby Sophia Wendin 3L » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:26 pm

I'm struggling too and I'm planning to read through the textbook and take notes and then do the practice problems until I understand them better.

LexyDenaburg_3A

Postby LexyDenaburg_3A » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:49 pm

I'm struggling too. These topics are pretty hard so thanks for the tips! I'm definitely going to have to get to some step up sessions

MMorcus2E

Postby MMorcus2E » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 am

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Seraphina Joseph 1C

Postby Seraphina Joseph 1C » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:07 pm

These are really great tips! Thanks everybody!

LexyDenaburg_3A

Postby LexyDenaburg_3A » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:29 pm

I've been struggling a lot with the topics we've been doing lately as well. These tips are super helpful thanks everyone!

Taylor Newville 1C

Postby Taylor Newville 1C » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 pm

Isabel Luu 1I wrote:For the thermochem/thermodynamics stuff I would recommend writing down all of the equations we have been using and make sure you understand all of the variables. A lot of the questions are just variations on using the same equations but solving for different variables in the equation. If you write out what variables and units you are given and what you are trying to get this might help because you can look at the equations and think about how you can plug in to get the correct variable and units.

This is a great tip, I will definitely try it, thank you!

Darren1j

Postby Darren1j » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:05 pm

I felt overwhelmed with how many different situations it seemed like there is in thermo, but as someone mentioned earlier, it's really important to understand the underlying concept. If you study the concepts and understand what the variables mean, then it will be easier to critically discern between each situation that Lavelle presents.

alexandralopez 3F

Postby alexandralopez 3F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:12 pm

For me I find it really helpful to have a list of equations we are using handy while doing the textbook problems and after a while I get comfortable using them!

Hasan Mirza 3F

Postby Hasan Mirza 3F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:17 pm

Doing as many of the problems from the textbook so that you can be ready for any combination of given information and information you need to solve for.

Rayna Irving 2C

Postby Rayna Irving 2C » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 pm

I try to go through the outline and find the concepts that I don't understand and review notes and YouTube videos on that particular topic until I understand it. I usually do this before I start doing actual problems so it's less pure memorization and more focused on application and truly understanding what's going on.

Mariah Disc 2C

Postby Mariah Disc 2C » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:29 pm

Ultimately, completing the textbook problems until you really understand them helps the most.

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:35 pm

Hello, I sometimes struggle with the math parts as well. What helps me is looking at the examples in the textbook and do all of the textbook problems and using the examples to do them. I make sure I understand how to do each step. Also, what helps is watching YouTube videos on the topics and usually they have some math problems as well.
Hope this helps!

Ashley Fakolujo 3H

Postby Ashley Fakolujo 3H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:06 pm

I feel as though I would do significantly better if I was allowed to sit in the lecture hall for class instead of just watching the online recorded portion, are we allowed to do this?

Theo Teske 3B

Postby Theo Teske 3B » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:28 pm

Ashley Fakolujo 3H wrote:I feel as though I would do significantly better if I was allowed to sit in the lecture hall for class instead of just watching the online recorded portion, are we allowed to do this?

I agree and would also prefer to watch a lecture in person rather than watching the recordings that are posted on CCLE. Does anybody know if there are in-person lectures for this class, and if there are, can we attend them?

asfakhan_2H

Postby asfakhan_2H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:05 pm

Some tips or things I do to help is when I am approached with a problem I list out what I am given and what I need to find. Such as in the problem we did in class The professor listed out what was known and what was unknown. After that, the problem is clear and you can start with the mathematical part of the problem.

Maggie Clark

Postby Maggie Clark » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:27 pm

I start out by writing down everything that was given from the problem then what the question is asking for. This makes the problem feel more approachable.

Anton Truskovsky 2K

Postby Anton Truskovsky 2K » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:39 pm

This may be tedious, however, doing every practice problem from the textbook (problem numbers in the outlines) really does help you understand the concepts and how to apply them. The back of the book has the answers so you can check if you got it right.

Ben Zhang 2H

Postby Ben Zhang 2H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:47 pm

Does anyone have tips on handling the workload. How do you space out the readings and problems throughout the week and juggle that with other classes or extracurriculars?

Ashley Fakolujo 3H

Postby Ashley Fakolujo 3H » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Theo Teske 3B wrote:
Ashley Fakolujo 3H wrote:I feel as though I would do significantly better if I was allowed to sit in the lecture hall for class instead of just watching the online recorded portion, are we allowed to do this?

I agree and would also prefer to watch a lecture in person rather than watching the recordings that are posted on CCLE. Does anybody know if there are in-person lectures for this class, and if there are, can we attend them?

There are in person lectures for this course. My roommate attends them and according to her, we could technically walk in and sit on the floor because they do not take attendance. I would speak with a TA to confirm.

Ashley Fakolujo 3H

Postby Ashley Fakolujo 3H » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:01 pm

asfakhan_3D wrote:Some tips or things I do to help is when I am approached with a problem I list out what I am given and what I need to find. Such as in the problem we did in class The professor listed out what was known and what was unknown. After that, the problem is clear and you can start with the mathematical part of the problem.

This is so helpful! I did this when balancing out chemical equations and it made it clearer to understand

Ashley Fakolujo 3H

Postby Ashley Fakolujo 3H » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:03 pm

My biggest tip is do not be afraid to ask for help. We have so many resources from others who have taken this course and probably have knowledge on how to make the things that appear complicated way more easier. I like the organic chemistry tutor on youtube as well. They explain things pretty well

Ashley Fakolujo 3H

Postby Ashley Fakolujo 3H » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:05 pm

Ben Zhang 2F wrote:Does anyone have tips on handling the workload. How do you space out the readings and problems throughout the week and juggle that with other classes or extracurriculars?

I have been doing a little everyday! I find chemistry to be a bit harder and it also has more work when compared to my other courses. I usually prioritize my chem work and then the rest pretty much flows in place. You could also pretend your work is due 4 days before it is actually due to hold yourself accountable and essentially make time for the things you actually want to do.

Tawny Vu 1A

Postby Tawny Vu 1A » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:07 pm

kateraelDis1L wrote:What seems to be helping me is actually writing out my units so I can visually see what needs to cancel out in order to get what I want in the end. Especially when we use the R constant, if you use the wrong one it could mess up your units.

I also find this really helpful! For example, I find that writing out 1/s^1 instead of s^-1 and then multiplying by terms to cancel out units afterwards is easier to follow along. Seeing the visual process ensures that you're taking the correct steps and leaves little room for error. It might take longer, but I think it's good to take care into detail!

Dillon Taing 3H

Postby Dillon Taing 3H » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:07 pm

Definitely stay on top of all the homework that is assigned and review the lectures to first learn the material. Then attend office hours to ask questions, do textbook questions, and watch online videos to master or clarify the concepts taught in class.

Nayeli Valtierra 2F

Postby Nayeli Valtierra 2F » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:13 pm

I also get confused on some topics that we are currently learning, but I signed up for peer learning and try to do practice problems to try to better learn the material. Also, watching videos and attending office hours would also be some extra help!

Ashley Fakolujo 3H

Postby Ashley Fakolujo 3H » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Hasan Mirza 3F wrote:Doing as many of the problems from the textbook so that you can be ready for any combination of given information and information you need to solve for.

I have heard a lot of people mention this, but what do you do when you finish all those problems?

Desiree 3E

Postby Desiree 3E » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:22 pm

Ashley Fakolujo 3H wrote:
Hasan Mirza 3F wrote:Doing as many of the problems from the textbook so that you can be ready for any combination of given information and information you need to solve for.

I have heard a lot of people mention this, but what do you do when you finish all those problems?

Make sure you completely understand the problems and how you solved them. If you need further assistance you can join a step up session. There are also workshops where you can drop in and ask questions! Here is the link
https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... PL_ALL.pdf

sophiavmr

Postby sophiavmr » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 pm

I've been reading the textbook sections for the topics that I find tricky. I also look through the practice problems and do the ones that look challenging so that way I can look up the parts that I don't understand.

mmcqueen

Postby mmcqueen » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:33 pm

This is kind of a basic approach, but what helps me is the idea of: figure out what you know and what you need to find out, then manipulate the equations you know to plug in what you have and solve for what you don't. Make the equations work for you!

Gabby Burgess 2I

Postby Gabby Burgess 2I » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:34 pm

In order to help make the problems easier, I always start by writing down what equations I think may be applicable to the question and converting any numbers given to SI units or units needed for the equations. Then I just start breaking down what I know and look at what in the equations can be substituted out.

Joseph Ettipio

Postby Joseph Ettipio » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:38 pm

Something that definitely helps and is kind of a no-brainer but I also need to work on is actually staying up to date with the coursework. Missing a night of reviewing material and problems from class that day sets you back for the next class, which is a self-perpetuating cycle. At a certain point you fall so far behind that lectures make zero sense which makes you fall even further behind, etc.

Jamie Park 2F

Postby Jamie Park 2F » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:54 pm

What helps me to keep myself on track when solving long mathematical problems is checking if the units cancel out. If I am really stuck on a specific type of problem, I watch youtube or Khan Academy videos to see what the calculation process is like!

N Kanuri 2E

Postby N Kanuri 2E » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:56 pm

Jamie Park 3J wrote:What helps me to keep myself on track when solving long mathematical problems is checking if the units cancel out. If I am really stuck on a specific type of problem, I watch youtube or Khan Academy videos to see what the calculation process is like!

Specifically, I like Crash Course and the Organic Chemistry Tutor!!

Madeline_Miller

Postby Madeline_Miller » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:59 pm

I'm also struggling with some of the mathematical concepts right now. I've been trying to attend UA sessions because the UAs are beneficial and are willing to work with you individually if you genuinely need the extra help. I think that going to as many sessions as possible, as well as doing as much practice as you can, will be highly beneficial to doing well and understanding the material.

Amaris Cagungun 1F

Postby Amaris Cagungun 1F » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:07 pm

I like to write down all the information that was given in the problem and what you are trying to find. Writing down all the units can also help you visualize how to get to the answer.

Naomi Christian 1E

Postby Naomi Christian 1E » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 pm

I write out everything given to me in the problem and usually reference an equation sheet that I have! Sometimes you may need to use multiple equations or plug equations into each other to find the solution.

BriannaDis2C

Postby BriannaDis2C » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 pm

In my opinion, watching a module and practicing the problems at the end help me gage my understanding of the concept. After that, I would review textbook problems similar to the concepts that are in the video. After reviewing the textbook problems, redo the module post assessment and see if any progress has been made.

Postby 405479701 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:34 pm

I recommend doing all the extra problems given. Even if the problems are not mandatory or due, doing them will better prepare you and give you practice with using the equations.

asfakhan_2H

Postby asfakhan_2H » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:00 pm

I actually did a different process which helped me a lot. I exposed mysekf to the material before lecture by using the modules and then the lecture was easier to understand. After the lecture, I review homework, the textbook, and then start doing some practice problems. Listing out the steps or what is known and unknown in a problem really helps.

Postby 405509920 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Repetition. It sucks. But it really helps you hammer in the process of solving calculations and makes mistakes less common.

Emma Goellner 2I

Postby Emma Goellner 2I » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:45 am

It helps me to first highlight/circle all pieces of information and values you are given in the problem. Then, I identify what I need to find or what the question is asking. I look at the equation sheet provided by Dr. Lavelle to see what possible equations I could use to find the answer given the information provided in the problem. Also, when solving mathematical problems, make sure your units cancel! Take your time and check your work.

Return to “General Science Questions”