New to Chem

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Carla Bruebach 1C

New to Chem

Postby Carla Bruebach 1C » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:40 pm

I didn't take AP Chemistry in high school and was wondering if anyone who did take it has any advice on how to study or what to focus on when studying for the midterm and final? Thanks!

oliviacarnot

Re: New to Chem

Postby oliviacarnot » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:06 pm

I definitely recommend doing practice problems! Also if you are ever struggling to grasp a certain concept, looking up explanation videos can help to really have an understanding of the topic(khan academy is really helpful!)

Doing practice problems will help you realize what equations to use for what question.
Flashcards/Quizlet is really helpful for definitions, memorizing equations, and general rules/laws.

Diana peng 3I

Postby Diana peng 3I » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:08 pm

Hi, we are on the same page. I went back and rewatch the lecture (this help the refresh the memory). I went back to the note I took on textbook, and I read some community post regarding homework, it help me a-lot to read them.
Good luck on the test.

tristenleem3B

Postby tristenleem3B » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 pm

Hi, I recommend doing the practice problems from the textbook, as they can give you more of an idea as what is going to be on the test. Also rewatching lectures and making sure you are taking and studying from your notes is really important.

Litsa Dimit 1D

Postby Litsa Dimit 1D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:16 pm

Hi! I did not take AP Chemistry either and what I found what helped me most was going over all the fundamentals and making sure I was able to master it. Then I would rewatch the lectures and do some textbook problems!

Postby 505739628 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:17 pm

My biggest piece of advice would just be to do as many practice problems as possible without looking at any sort of answer key just to see how far you can get on your own knowledge and then, after checking the answer, going back a few days later and trying to redo the ones you did wrong to make sure you fully understand your mistake. While reading the textbook is definitely super helpful as well, in the end, it's problems that we have to do on the test so practicing those was the most helpful for me in AP Chem. Hope this helps!

Briana Chavez 3F
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Briana Chavez 3F » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:18 pm

Hello! I did not take AP chemistry in high school either, so I will give you some suggestions on what I am doing to prepare! I definitely suggest perfecting the fundamentals, which the Audio-Visual Focus Topics by Lavelle will help with. You can also look at practice problems and go to office hours or the workshops.

Postby 605607825 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Hello! I have not taken AP Chemistry in high school but I have friends who have taken this course before! When I asked them how I should study for the exam they said to redo the homework problems, go to Khan Academy, Office hours, and do textbook problems. They also strongly advised me to attend UA/ LA sessions! If you have any questions about a topic, posting here to Chemistry Community is great because its allows peers to collaborate and teach one another! I hope this helps!

Shannon Clark 1F

Postby Shannon Clark 1F » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:46 pm

I also didn't take AP chemistry in high school and was a little bit worried about going into this class! But the modules on Lavelle's website have been super helpful to me, as well as youtube videos, and surprisingly working through the textbook example problems and practice problems!

Jessica Berejikian

Postby Jessica Berejikian » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:51 pm

I would recommend doing as many textbook practice problems as you can, and I also know that the modules on the website are super helpful!

Abigail Tran 14a

Postby Abigail Tran 14a » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 pm

Hi! I took AP chemistry in high school and I would recommend doing a lot of practice problems to study especially because chemistry is more of a strategy based subject than a memorization based one.

Amaris Cagungun 1F

Postby Amaris Cagungun 1F » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Heyo! I also didn’t take AP chemistry in high school so I’ve found doing a lot of practice problems really helpful. Also the modules really helped with establishing a foundation of understanding. Khan academy and some YouTube videos can also help clarify things that are confusing!

Return to “General Science Questions”