White Light

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Fontanilla 1I

White Light

Postby Isabelle Fontanilla 1I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:41 pm

During lecture we talked about how in order to find the wavelengths of the different electromagnetic radiation within the EM Spectrum, white light is passed through a glass prism. How can white light possess different wavelengths of light? Also, why is black light not used?

Natalie Liu 4I

Re: White Light

Postby Natalie Liu 4I » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 pm

I think white light includes all wavelengths of visible light because it is not a color so it does not have a specific wavelength.

Atul Saha 3D

Re: White Light

Postby Atul Saha 3D » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Isabelle,

White light is the combination of all the different wavelengths of light. It's similar to how mixing all the colors of paint creates black. The prism splits up white light into its component parts which our eyes visualize as a continuous spectrum (the rainbow). Black is not a color of light, because it's the absence of any light. "Black light" has no component wavelengths, so it can't split apart.

This link contains further information about the components of light vs the components of pigments (paint):
http://learn.leighcotnoir.com/artspeak/ ... ry-colors/

Much Joy,
Atul

Return to “General Science Questions”