Thermodynamics in the Work Field

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eva Guillory 2E

Thermodynamics in the Work Field

Postby Eva Guillory 2E » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:43 pm

I'm just curious, what are some common applications of thermodynamics in the work field? In addition, are there any specific examples of thermodynamics in relation to life sciences?

Edit: To clarify, I meant "work" in reference to occupation, not work in the thermodynamical sense.
Last edited by Eva Guillory 2E on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emily gao 1C

Re: Thermodynamics in the Work Field

Postby emily gao 1C » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 pm

heat is released/absorbed in any rxn-- it matters more w gibbs free energy calcs bc delta g tells us if a rxn will be spontaneous or not. delta g= delta h - t delta s
this matters for things like atp hydrolysis.

Bijan Mehdizadeh 1B

Re: Thermodynamics in the Work Field

Postby Bijan Mehdizadeh 1B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Besides research in the field of thermodynamics, I believe there are also thermodynamic engineers as well as physicists that deal more specifically with either the theory or application of thermodynamics. I don't know about many life science applications since thermodynamics tends to focus on chemical and physical science math principles, but I suppose life science researchers might focus on or at least take into account the entropy of population systems while those in the field of medicine might use thermodynamic principles in a more complete understanding of illness and why one feels hot or cold due to certain conditions.

Return to “General Science Questions”