Discussion Section Test

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily Huang 1E

Discussion Section Test

Postby Emily Huang 1E » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:34 pm

For the photosynthesis of glucose in the chloroplasts of an old growth redwood tree, why is deltaG>0 the wrong answer. Isn't photosynthesis endergonic?

Nahelly Alfaro-2C

Re: Discussion Section Test

Postby Nahelly Alfaro-2C » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:18 am

The reason why delta G>0 would be wrong is that during photosynthesis a plant uses light energy from the sun and carbon dioxide plus water to convert it into glucose and oxygen. This means that glucose is a product of the chemical reaction that is occurring, therefore, being exergonic.

Gary Qiao 1D

Postby Gary Qiao 1D » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:47 am

Actually, I am not too sure because I put deltaG>0 for photosynthesis also, but it seems like they originally marked me off, but then crossed it out and gave me the points. I would talk with the TA for clarification.

Lasya Gudipudi 1A

Postby Lasya Gudipudi 1A » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Yeah, my TA emailed us and said that if you put that photosynthesis is non-spontaneous, he would give us our points back.

Return to “General Science Questions”