Reducing Math Errors

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Tran 2I

Reducing Math Errors

Postby Ashley Tran 2I » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:12 pm

I constantly find myself having to redo problems because of silly calculator mistakes. Any tips on how I can address this?

Kevin Antony 2B

Re: Reducing Math Errors

Postby Kevin Antony 2B » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Honestly, your best options are just going slowly and practice. Going slow will help reduce the likelihood of errors and plenty of practice with that same calculator will help you get accustomed to the types of questions.

Sofia Ban

Postby Sofia Ban » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:48 pm

before you write down ur values, just doublecheck the numbers that appear and make sure you're writing the same number and right decimal points. Also, despite the sig figs needed for the end value, it's best not to use this to write down numbers during the actual calculation process.

Zoe Gleason 4F

Postby Zoe Gleason 4F » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:58 pm

One way I usually have some problems is with parentheses. It helps to practice how you type the equations into the calculator and figure out how it should be typed before you put it in. If you have enough time during your test, I will also check my answer by using it to find a constant given in the questions. This is helpful when the calculation is multiple steps, so you can check that your math is correct as you do the problem.

VLi_2B

Postby VLi_2B » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:14 pm

Whenever you do your homework, always use the same instruments (pen and calculator) that you plan to use on the test. It'll eventually become muscle memory.

Jamie Lee 1F

Postby Jamie Lee 1F » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:30 pm

I usually try to check over my answers, but since I usually never catch mistakes just by looking at my work, I redo the problems I really need to check. I then compare my original work and my later work and make sure it was correct. Also, just double checking your steps as you go is helpful.

JChen_2I

Postby JChen_2I » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:14 pm

Sometimes it helps to keep everything as variables and don't plug in numbers until you've isolated the variable you're trying to solve for. And of course, if you have extra time on a test, always be sure to double or triple check!

Yailin Romo 4G

Postby Yailin Romo 4G » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 pm

Just take your time and make sure to pay attention to units and conversions as I find those to be where I make small mistakes.

Return to “General Science Questions”