conversions  [ENDORSED]

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Funmi Baruwa

conversions

Postby Funmi Baruwa » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:25 am

how do we know when we need to convert from joules/mol to kilojoules?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: conversions  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:29 am

There is no fixed rule but it usually makes sense to do so when there is a number with more than 1000 J. Makes it easier to read.

Navdha Sharma 3J

Re: conversions

Postby Navdha Sharma 3J » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:52 am

While solving a problem, I think having all of the quantities in similar units is a must. So, I like to convert joules to kilojoules or vice-versa before starting the calculations so that it becomes easier to solve the problem without making mistakes.

JaesalSoma1E
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby JaesalSoma1E » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:55 am

Navdha Sharma 3J wrote:While solving a problem, I think having all of the quantities in similar units is a must. So, I like to convert joules to kilojoules or vice-versa before starting the calculations so that it becomes easier to solve the problem without making mistakes.

That is a really good idea! I'm definitely going to try that out so I can stop making silly mistakes with units.

Kandyce Lance 3E

Postby Kandyce Lance 3E » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:58 pm

Navdha Sharma 3J wrote:While solving a problem, I think having all of the quantities in similar units is a must. So, I like to convert joules to kilojoules or vice-versa before starting the calculations so that it becomes easier to solve the problem without making mistakes.

And if you write and cancel out your units only to notice you have a unit still present that can't be crossed out with anything, it's typically a sign that you need to convert something unless that last units are what you want your answer in

magalysantos_1F

Postby magalysantos_1F » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:45 am

I know this sounds redundant haha, but the textbook questions help get used to the unit conversions. Heat (q), for example, is usually seen as kj, so it would be best to convert an answer as J to kj.

Lea Ozdere 2G

Postby Lea Ozdere 2G » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:48 am

I think if it's multiple choice or like the sapling where the units are given at the end of where you put the answer, that is how you will know if/how you need to convert. Otherwise, if it's a free response I really think it's up to you as long as you are consistent and keep all the units the same (so either all J or all kJ).

Return to “General Science Questions”