Bleached Hair

Science questions not covered in Chem 14A and 14B. Try to limit questions to chemistry (inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, organic chemistry, biophysical chemistry, biochemistry, materials science, environmental chemistry).

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bleached Hair

Postby 405509920 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:15 pm

I've been bleaching my hair since middle school. The chemical typically used is paraphenylenediamine. Does it function like an acid and what exactly give it the property to take away hair pigment?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Bleached Hair

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 pm

To summarize the ammonia pulls apart layers of the hair's proteins, so that the dye can access the hair shaft. Next, hydrogen peroxide bleaches the hair and helps p-phenylenediamine (PPD), one of the primary coloring agents, to become trapped in hair!

So, the Ammonia is the alkaline chemical that opens the cuticle and allows the hair color to penetrate the cortex of the hair. It also acts as a catalyst when the permanent hair color comes together with the peroxide. Peroxide is used as the developer or oxidizing agent. The developer removes pre-existing color. Peroxide breaks chemical bonds in the hair, releasing sulfur, which accounts for the characteristic odor of hair coloring products. As the melanin is decolorized, a new permanent color is bonded to the hair cortex. If you want to know more you can look here!

Reference: https://www.thoughtco.com/salon-hair-co ... try-602183

Isabelle Kludt 2B

Re: Bleached Hair

Postby Isabelle Kludt 2B » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:38 pm

Ah this is so interesting. I just bleached my hair for the first time a few weeks ago its crazy to think its completely chemically altered now.

Return to “General Science Questions”