Rydberg Equation  [ENDORSED]

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Niveda_Tennety_1H

Rydberg Equation

Postby Niveda_Tennety_1H » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:40 pm

Is it usually more efficient to use the Rydberg equation in these types of problems where frequency and an initial/final energy level are provided? In other words, when would you use E=-hR/n^2 over the Rydberg Equation?

Derek Lee 2K

Re: Rydberg Equation  [ENDORSED]

Postby Derek Lee 2K » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:22 pm

My TA said to always use it because they give partial credit if we at least find the energy of each n level. He said that if we use ryberg's, if we mess up the calculation in any way and get the wrong answer, then the whole thing is wrong and there's no partial credit.

Meera McAdam 1C

Re: Rydberg Equation

Postby Meera McAdam 1C » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:17 am

In regards to the partial credit vs. no credit,
I was doing a problem where I first wrote down E=-hR/n^2, then needed to find frequency v, so using Einstein's equation E=hv, I divided everything by h. I then put it into the form of Ef - Ei = change in Energy.
Essentially, I derived the Rydberg's formula (v=R{1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2}) from the original hydrogen emission equation.

Since it's more efficient to plug everything into this equation, and I showed that I derived it, does that change anything in terms of grading?
Also, is Rydberg's formula still only limited to Hydrogen, like E=-hR/n^2?

Xiaoman_Kang_2J

Postby Xiaoman_Kang_2J » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:16 pm

Meera McAdam 3F wrote:In regards to the partial credit vs. no credit,
I was doing a problem where I first wrote down E=-hR/n^2, then needed to find frequency v, so using Einstein's equation E=hv, I divided everything by h. I then put it into the form of Ef - Ei = change in Energy.
Essentially, I derived the Rydberg's formula (v=R{1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2}) from the original hydrogen emission equation.

Since it's more efficient to plug everything into this equation, and I showed that I derived it, does that change anything in terms of grading?
Also, is Rydberg's formula still only limited to Hydrogen, like E=-hR/n^2?

If you show the process of deriving it, you should be fine. And, yes, Rydberg's formula is still only limited to hydrogen.

Justin Folk 3I

Postby Justin Folk 3I » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:27 am

Will we be given that it is a hydrogen atom? This only works for hydrogen, but the problem 8 in the practice quiz 2 didn't list it as a hydrogen atom.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”