Atomic Spectra Post-Module, Question 17  [ENDORSED]

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

melissagonzalez1c

Atomic Spectra Post-Module, Question 17

Postby melissagonzalez1c » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:42 pm

The meter was defined in 1963 as 1,650,763.73 wavelengths of radiation emitted by krypton-86 (it has since been redefined). What is the wavelength of this krypton-86 radiation? To what region of the electromagnetic spectrum does this wavelength correspond (i.e. infrared, ultraviolet, x-ray, etc.)? What energy does one photon of this radiation have?

I don't really understand what the question means when it says this, what does the meter have to do with the wavelength emitted by krypton-86? I may just be reading the question wrong, if anyone could clear this up it would be greatly appreciated!

Christopher Reed 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Atomic Spectra Post-Module, Question 17  [ENDORSED]

Postby Christopher Reed 1H » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Think of the question asking you to find the length of each individual "part" that makes up one meter, given the total number of "parts." You would do this by dividing (partitioning) one meter by the total number of parts given.
Having said this, replace the word part with "wavelength" and hopefully it will make more sense. (:

The above calculation is for one wavelength emitted by krypton-86!

If you have any questions please ask!

melissagonzalez1c

Re: Atomic Spectra Post-Module, Question 17

Postby melissagonzalez1c » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Christopher Reed 4I wrote:Think of the question asking you to find the length of each individual "part" that makes up one meter, given the total number of "parts." You would do this by dividing (partitioning) one meter by the total number of parts given.
Having said this, replace the word part with "wavelength" and hopefully it will make more sense. (:

The above calculation is for one wavelength emitted by krypton-86!

If you have any questions please ask!

Thank you so much!! It makes a lot more sense now :~)

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”