Example Shown During Lecture

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andy Liao 1B

Example Shown During Lecture

Postby Andy Liao 1B » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Problem:
Calculate the frequency of light emitted by a hydrogen atom when an electron makes a transition from the fourth to the second principal quantum level.

I know that to solve this problem, we first use the empirical formula for a H-atom to solve for the energy of the electron in energy levels 4 and 2, then find change in energy for the electron, and lastly use E=hv to calculate the frequency of light emitted. However, I was wondering if instead of doing the steps above, we could just use the Rydberg equation to solve for the frequency of light emitted.

Tess McDaniel 1F

Re: Example Shown During Lecture

Postby Tess McDaniel 1F » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:55 pm

I remember Dr. Lavelle said in lecture today that he wasn't going to teach the Rydberg equation because there is no physical model like the energy shell model he showed us in class that explains it, so he doesn't want to teach us something we can't understand the basis for. He did say however that we can use it if we want to! Hope that helps

Katie Lam 1B

Re: Example Shown During Lecture

Postby Katie Lam 1B » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:08 pm

You're allowed to use the Rydberg equation if you know how it works. Like Tess said, he showed us the other method because it is more easily explainable.

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”