Question about Atomic Spectroscopy

H-Atom ()

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lianna Kishi 1A

Question about Atomic Spectroscopy

Postby Lianna Kishi 1A » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:49 pm

Why does each element have a different atomic spectroscopy? I think it was said in the lecture today but I didn't quite get it down. Thanks!

Nishma Chakraborty 1J

Re: Question about Atomic Spectroscopy

Postby Nishma Chakraborty 1J » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Hey! So, the atoms of each element all consist of electrons with unique arrangements. Their unique arrangement coincides with each individual electron having a different pattern of energy (which is released as a photon when an electron is excited and goes from a higher energy to a lower one). This distinct pattern of electron configuration/energy release leads to the variations in atomic spectra from element to element that we see. Hope this helps!

Rachel Formaker 1E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Rachel Formaker 1E » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Because each element has a different number of protons, each element's nucleus has a different positive charge.
This variation in positive charge for each element causes the electrons in each element to be bound to the atom by a different amount of energy.
The slight differences in configuration caused by this differing energy means the gaps between electron levels in each element are different.
Since each element will only absorb/emit light of the exact energy corresponding to the gaps in its energy levels, each element has a different atomic spectrum.

leilawilliams16

Postby leilawilliams16 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm

wait so if every element has a unique spectroscopy then how do our problems all coincide with the same spectrums/ do we need to memorize the spectrum lines (Laymen series etc)???

Thuy-Anh Bui 1I
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Thuy-Anh Bui 1I » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:19 pm

leilawilliams16 wrote:wait so if every element has a unique spectroscopy then how do our problems all coincide with the same spectrums/ do we need to memorize the spectrum lines (Laymen series etc)???

All our homework/test problems concerning spectroscopy deal with hydrogen, so we have only been working with its atomic spectrum. We only use hydrogen because its one electron makes these calculations feasible. You should know the three groups of transitions in hydrogen. Transitions from any energy level to n=1 is the Lyman series, transitions to n=2 is the Balmer series, and transitions to n=3 is the Paschen series.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Bohr Frequency Condition, H-Atom , Atomic Spectroscopy”